Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Pictures of my small veggie garden

tomncath
15 years ago

I wish this forum was utilized more, thought I'd post a few pictures to see who's out there. I'm in Florida so I can growth stuff most of the year.

Tom

{{gwi:332797}}

Early fall

Early fall

{{gwi:5197}}

Late fall

Late fall

{{gwi:5201}}

{{gwi:5199}}

Comments (10)

• akarinz
    15 years ago

Nice Tom. What are the containers you have in the ground?

Karin

• gardener_sandy
    15 years ago

That's about as beautiful as it gets! And the fact that there's a dusting of snow on my garden here in Richmond makes your pictures even more welcome. I can't wait to get back in the garden and start growing stuff again.

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

Impressive and neat! Thanks for sharing. I wish my tiny back yard had more sunlight, but to give my dog his 'outside' I needed the stockade fence, which reduces my potential light into the recessed yard. Looking forward to spring!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Folks,

Here's hoping it all ends for you soon. I'm in an area of Florida that gets NO frost but many of my GW Florida Forum friends have had their yards decimated over the last ten days...something we're not use to down here.

Nice Tom. What are the containers you have in the ground?
    Karin

Karen,

I grew great veggies in the raised bed for the first three years, then, typically of Florida soils, the nematodes infested my beds and it was impossible to grow tomatoes. So I went to an in-ground pot-in-pot model like many commercial growers use, with remarkable results.

Tom

• rawb
    15 years ago

Very nice! Thought you said small.. LoL

What's pot in a pot? Is that like a self watering container?

Interested cuz my sis is in Fla. And they are new gardeners. They tried last year but bugs and what not decimated them..

myself am some what new, going full bore on tomato's this year as my ole lady wants to make and can her own spaggetti sauce. All containers.

Again nice garden pics!

Rob

• rawb
    15 years ago

LoL, I guess your right! This forum isn't utilized much!

• leelee_2008
    15 years ago

Very efficient, beautiful and delicious looking small garden you've got there.

I really like your trellises, can you tell me what you used and where you got your supplies from? Also what size pots are your tomatoes in and what size is that pot sitting in?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What's pot in a pot? Is that like a self watering container?

Interested cuz my sis is in Fla. And they are new gardeners. They tried last year but bugs and what not decimated them..

Hi Rob, takes me a while to get back over to this forum, you can always drop me a line.... The nematodes in the Florida soil will destroy many crops, especially tomatoes. Pot-in-pot is basically a way to container garden and keep the container soil cool and isolated from the bad bugs in the ground (for those of us with that problem).

I really like your trellises, can you tell me what you used and where you got your supplies from? Also what size pots are your tomatoes in and what size is that pot sitting in?

Hi Lee, it's Cattle Panel and T-post. In-ground pots are 10 gallons for the 7 gallon indeterminate container tomatoes, 7 gallons for the 5 gallon determinate container tomatoes.

Hope this helps....

Tom

• rawb
    15 years ago

Yes Tom thank-you! A couple more questions if you don't mind. Now them pots.... you get them used or new? from a nursey? They and you whole set up/garden looks so commercial! So very nice.... Myself, just looks like some kind of hillbilly operation! LOL....

• tomncath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Rawb,

I only check this forum about once a week at best.... For the record I'm just a home-grower but always looking for the best price on things. I use new containers and in my local area the best price I found was here, not sure if you even have these folks in your area so you may have to look some to find a supplier that will sell to the public at reasonable if you buy in bulk....Happy gardening!

Tom

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH