Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Terrace on North Side of Courtyard

Posted by merryp none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:46

Hello! I am moving to Barcelona, Spain and would like to grow as many vegetables as possible on my terrace. My question: What will and won't be possible for a nice vegetable and herb garden lasting as long as possible?

The the apartment I most love has a sizable terrace which is oriented northwest in the large courtyard for block buildings. I am told it has:
- 6 hours of direct sun from 1 pm to 7 pm in the summer months, June-September
- 4 hours direct sun in the late spring and early autumn
- 2 hours direct sun in the early spring or late autumn.
- No direct sun for 3-4 months (November-February).
The photo above was taken in December.

I am relatively new to urban gardening, having previously grown in the ground on the south side of my home in Michigan, with a much more limited growing season than I will have in Barcelona. I have read much on container gardening, but I am having trouble determining how limited I will be by the sun conditions for this north facing terrace.

Will I do alright, or should I strongly consider waiting for an apartment with a south facing terrace so that I can produce more food in more months? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Terrace on North Side of Courtyard

That sounds like a pretty acceptable amount of sun to me. My garden faces north due to the location of our house, and I have not had a problem producing plenty of edibles. While I certainly don't have experience with your latitude, I'd go for it and see what you get, especially with the shade loving plants like lettuce. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here