Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
this forum is totally dead!!!

Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 22:21

I just bumped down some posts that had been here for over a year, unanswered!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: this forum is totally dead!!!

Hi Brandon. I haven't been here in quite awhile since it's so slow, so it's good to see somebody actually posting!

I grow veggies in small spaces and give seminars on the subject, also. What do you grow?

Sandy

o

hello Sandy... u give seminars on growing veg.s in small spaces? how cool! I live downtown and have literally NO space outside. But i do have a sunroom and some addt'l indoor space. Which candidates (if any) would u recommend for indoors... i only have south windows in the sunroom, all others are east.

o

Hi yogagrl. The only veggies that do well indoors, even with lots of windows, are the leafy ones, like lettuce or kale, or radishes might produce a bulb. Those that flower and produce "fruit" need more sunlight than comes through windows. There are a lot of very pretty lettuces you could try.

If you could provide supplemental grow lights, then you can grow just about anything indoors. There's a good forum here on growing under lights. I'll put a link at the bottom of this post.

Do you have a patio or deck? If so and it gets adequate sunlight (minimum of 6 hours full sun a day) then you can grow veggies in pots or planters.

VA Tech has good publications on the subject. Here's a link to a good list:
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/category/fruits-vegetables.html

Good luck. With a little work you should be able to grow a few fresh veggies, even downtown!

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Under Lights forum

o

Thanks so much Sandy! Sorry I got busy with school and haven't been back here for a while.

I actually do have a grow light but I'm sure for veggies I will need to get more. No patio but I think grow lights or not I am going to look into some lettuces. I just love the self-sufficiency I have with my herbs and adding lettuce to the mix would definitely be nice :)

Thanks for your time and help(and the great links)!
Nemaste,
Elizabeth

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 17, 10 at 18:56

Yup Brandon, close to it. It's a shame isn't it? The concept is good but the users are few....

Tom

o

I agree. This should be the busiest forum here. Right now, I have realized that I have started too soon, but I will try again later this month. My tomatoes are spindly, and I know why. I will add this forum to my favorites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here