Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Gardening and planting seeds q.

Posted by nanaclaire 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 10:52

I have two large containers I purchased last summer. I want to put soil inside and plant a lot of seeds, different kinds, then later transplant them as to where I want to plant them inside those containers and elsewhere. I was wondering should I put holes in the bottom and how many holes? Oh, and it sits on concrete.

One is 22.5", a whiskey resin barrel, as shown in picture. The other one is a bit smaller.

I am planning on buying one more similar to those. I was going to start the seeds inside, however we will be gone the middle of April for a week and it will interfere with starting them indoors, so decided I will do it after the last frost sometime in May, hopefully sooner than later :)

I also have a regular flower bed where I can plant those seedlings but many of them will be in those containers. I am planting zinnia, petunias, lavender, and maybe others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Gardening and planting seeds q.

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 11:24

They will need drainage anyway to be used as permanent pots, but you can use them as is for seed starting, just don't drench the soil to the full depth.

I'd put about 8 holes in the bottom, mine would be one eighth inch, because of my climate. I want slow drainage. Yours can be larger.

o
RE: Container Gardening and planting seeds q.

I have one of these. I drilled one 1/4" holes all around the bottom perimeter and four 1/2" holes in the middle (slightly raised) section. Drains nicely.

I've taken my seeds to friends to water/mist while I'm gone. Better that than starting too late and shortening your growing season, especially since it doesn't sound like you're doing that many seeds. Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here