Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaatarah

New to Gardening, Need Advice

zaatarah
10 years ago

This will be my very first attempt at growing herbs, which should be pretty easy, if you ask the internet. :) I eat a lot of parsley and mint. And would love to grow them rather than keep overpaying for them :) I'll have a decent patio space to do this, but I think my best bet is a vertical garden. Now I move to my new place midweek, and I'm not sure how much natural light I'll be getting there, it's on the first floor. It gets light, but it's not an all day sunny part, either. But I read mint, parsley, basil, etc can be grown indoors so I'm assuming it'll be OK.

My questions are: 1. I want to grow a decent yielding amount, other than constantly cultivating, and growing each in one long row, what would be a good idea? I LOVE tabbouleh in the summer, and I'll be using them as much as I get them, so I have no problem with getting a nice yield. So is growing two rows each of mint and of parsley a bad idea? It'll be feeding two people? Or would that be good enough to get a good growth? How often do I expect be able to harvest these and for them to grow back? Sorry if the terms are wrong.

2. Plastic or wood containers? Should I try to build it angled so the bottom sticks out or it doesn't matter?

3. I like the look of the wooden vertical gardens but they're expensive. And the pallets look like they're a lot of work and maybe won't grow as much as I want. Suggestions for cheap ways to do this? Keep in mind I've never done this before and have about 0 building stuff skills. Willing to learn, just don't have much cash on hand to buy and invest in tools etc at this point.

4. Those in DC or other places with urban gardening, any ideas you might have on what works and what doesn't in this climate, or ideas on where i can get help if needed, cheap material etc.

Sorry it's all over the place and thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm