Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mounting a shepherd's hook

Posted by catlike (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 13:27

I am in a situation where I cannot mount anything to the walls/ceiling on my balcony, but I'd like to have something with some height, preferably a hanging basket. I was thinking of taking a tall shepherd's hook and cementing it into a heavy (cement?) pot, such that it would not be knocked over. It sounds good on paper, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mounting a shepherd's hook

My mom has shepards hooks just "planted" in a large pot of soil (plants at it's feet) and then she has tied it to the rails of the deck. She uses hers for birdfeeders.

GGG

o

Maybe I'll go the soil route first and see if that is sturdy enough. Our balcony walls are completely solid stucco, so there is nothing to tie anything around. It's become quite a decorating and gardening challenge. Thanks for your suggestion!

o

Catlike,
Not sure if you went ahead with the shepherd's hook idea; if you didn't would a tripod type of setup work? And with a hanging basket in the center, the foliage and flowers would hide most of the structure.
just a thought....

o

• Posted by jiggreen zone 6b, carlisle PA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 3, 06 at 8:58

i was at the nursery this past weekend and saw wrought iron shepherd's hooks on freestanding stands. this was at a nice independent nursery, not a big box store and they carry a large selection of wrought iron items. you might want to check around at some of the nurseries in your area and see if you can find something similar.
here is the nursery that i saw the hooks at, i don't know if they do mail order.

:) jiggreen

Here is a link that might be useful: country market nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here