Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash on raised bed/partial shade?

Posted by glitterbuns none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 14:02

Husband and I have a small, mostly concrete back yard with a magnolia tree; after measuring we think we might be able to build two raised beds around the magnolia.

One of the raised beds would be 140cmX70cm (which is roughly 4ft7inX2ft3in). So I'd like to know if we could grow summer or winter squash in them; and if so how many seedlings we could plant.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash on raised bed/partial shade?

Not trying to be negative, but I believe you will have a difficult time growing any type of squash in inadequate sun.

Also, my biggest concern is that it may be detrimental to the magnolia tree if you construct a raised bed around the trunk. This very likely would suffocate the feeder roots for the tree.

Maybe I've misread the post and your intentions? If so, the link below may help you pick a veggie for your shade/part sun site.

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: growing veggies under trees

o
RE: Squash on raised bed/partial shade?

I should've mentioned that the measurements were worked around visible roots, and with plenty of space between the trunk and the raised bed! terribly sorry :) In any case, IF it's a sensible idea to try raised beds near it, what precautions should we take?

Our other option would be to build them over the concrete, but is that even possible? I'm guessing there'd be little to no drainage.

We do get some sunlight but because of the tree and the houses next to us it's not enough for squash or tomatoes. I read elsewhere that squash did grow alright in shade but thought I'd ask before making mistakes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here