Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlymom_gw

Let's get forum buzzing again

curlymom
14 years ago

I am now an urban gardener in Philadelphia. I have a small 13 x 17 patio garden, a bunch of containers for my front entrance and a pretty good sized roof deck where I grow my tomatoes & basil. Every year I am trying something new. Almost everything is in containers. Oh, I also have a small balcony w/a tumbler composter, where I keep my kitchen herbs...We have a great garden contest in Philly for urban gardeners, and the entries are varied and imaginative. Once I clean and clear up and get everything spruced up for the season, I will post photos, it would be great if we all could do that to give each other ideas. This could be a GREAT forum if we can get folks to post again--I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Comments (6)

• alison
    14 years ago

Wow! That's a lot of yield in a small space!

I plan to be posting a lot more these days, now that I have a new urban space (and a faster computer connections!)

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

Thanks alison! I was starting to think this forum was dead :~)

You can really up your production in small spaces growing hydroponically. For me, it's really addicting because I'm constantly having to tweak my systems, trying to get the healthiest plants possible.

So, what kind of space/plants are you working with?

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

@ alison, nevermind that last request. Just read your post. Since we're talking outside gardening, check out what I'm working on. I call it fence gardening.lol I'm just getting started.

My plan is to attach the mesh fencing to my wood fence. From there, I'm planting 50 tomato plants that will grow along the metal fencing like a vine. I'm also growing 60 pepper plants, in between and in front of the tomato plants. All the plants will be grown in 18 gallon plastic totes, set up on a drip system. I'm selling much of these at the farmers market this year.

• star_stuff
    14 years ago

Your garage is AMAZING, urbangardenfarmer!

• alison
    14 years ago

Wow! The fencing is a great idea -- I've got a lot of fence in the back, and I love growing climbers.

My problem with the back will be light -- it's on the north side of the house, and because the houses are so close together, I get a few hours of morning sun in only one of the three beds in the back. But in the front...

I'm starting to plant the front beds right nextt to the porch right now. Several cherry/pear tomatoes and different kinds of peppers, intersperse with flowers. My plan is to move the flowers to the "outer" bed that will replace the lawn, and keep the herbs and veggies right up against the porch railing.

I'd like to plant some blueberries as well, and I have a little bed to the west of the front steps in mind. This weekend I'd like to dig it up and amend it with sulpher. (Sulphate?)

Bodes not to be boring!

• alison
    14 years ago

I mean, *eventually* move the flowers forward. there's notning in that bed right now, and I've got lots of volunteers from my garden at work to rehame in the short term.

And then there is that perennial sale I went to over the wekend...