Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armisteadgardens

The Other Kind of Rats -- Thieves!

armisteadgardens
16 years ago

I just discovered this forum by accident. I don't see it listed on the forum index page. I'm really glad I found you all, though! Not many gardeners would understand the special challenges of gardening in the middle of the city.

After I moved in last autumn, it was too late to do much to my yard, so I just stuck some shepherd's hooks in the front yard and hung some end-of-season-special geraniums on them. They looked beautiful, and bloomed past Thanksgiving.

Fortunately, I'd bought a lot of extras ($2.50 a pot, why not?), because the ones on the hooks closest to the street kept being stolen.

Reading through this forum, I see that I'm not alone.

People mentioned chaining their pots. What type of chains or cables are you using? Do you use a lock to secure them, or what? Don't people end up just overturning your plants when their larcenous attempts are frustrated?

I'm thinking about installing a blinding motion light in the front yard. Do you think that will help at all?

I thought about one of those motion-activated water sprayers that are used to deter deer, but my yard is only 10' deep so innocent passers-by would get soaked. How great would that be, though, to drench a thief?

Do you chain your plants, and if so, how? What other things do you do to keep your garden secure? Do you worry that having a beautiful little garden attracts the attention of bad characters? Do you think that having a nice garden might make your whole house less secure, or do you think it might have the opposite effect, as suggested by that plastic plant experiment in the Bronx in the 1980s?

Comments (2)