Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinamib

Newby to forum w lots of questions on container soils

tinamib
12 years ago

Hi All!

I live in Round Rock, Texas and am not new to gardening or containers but decided this year I need to devote more time to the containers. (I am also going to be scouring other areas of this site for other things that need a bit more attention outside)

In containers, I grow succulents/cactus, citrus, assorted flowers, some herbs, and plumeria. In the yard, I will not even name because we grow so many veggies, greens, herbs, and flowers - all organic - maybe another post)

We had a rough couple years in this area with very cold winters and harsh summers and over the last couple years, my succulent/cactus collection dwindled from approx. 40+ to 20. Some of these are full sun and some are in partial sun.

I currently need to transplant succulents, cactus, citrus, and plumeria. I have been reading and have seen Al's Gritty mix and other soils. I have even located most of the ingredients locally.... Turface MVP and Gran-I-grit. Now I have a few questions and probably will have more.

1. We are VERY hot in the summer and I am concerned about the pots in mostly sun drying out quickly. What would be the best soil mixture for what I need to transplant (succulents, cactus, citrus, and plumeria)?

2. Would I use the same mixture in part sun?

2. How often would I need to water in full sun?

3. I am also looking for a good time release fertilizer. Any Suggestions? I read about the Dynamite Citrus, palm and can't locate it? (I have palms in the yard - The citrus I am transplanting is a Texas Valley Grapefruit I started from a seed - now 4 foot tall)

4. Would same mix be good for flowering mostly sun plants in containers or would I need something different?

I know I have a lot of questions. I have been reading for a couple days and researching sources.

Thanks in advance for all advice. I look forward to sharing lots of info in the future.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm