Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise on assertive ground cover under a tree

Posted by unced 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 1:54

Hi new guy here! Nice to see there is a place like this to ask questions from others that have been thru things like I'm going thru. I have a 3 year old tree (nursery told me its a 6 year old tree) in back that is some type of crab. I want to plant some type of 'colorful' ground cover that wont kill the tree. Ive read stuff about invasive vs assertive, and it makes sence. I need something that rabbits dont eat....lol, like my roses and pine trees! Could I use Snow-in-summer under that tree knowing it will be in full sun and average soil? Or use Crown Vetch?

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise on assertive ground cover under a tree

Rubus pentalobus / Rubus calycinoides sounds like a good match for what you're looking for.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/81725/

Hardy, adaptable, and assertive but not invasive.

o

Cool, jordan; I'd never heard of creeping raspberry before.

I love snow-in-summer, but it really seems to be an on-an-off plant for me; good one year, not so good the next, super the next two, etc. Your mileage may vary, and it's super easy to start from seed.

My first thought was something like sweet woodruff, which I really love. But you say you have full sun? Under a tree?

Have you thought about some kind of sedum, like a stonecrop? the ones I've grown have proved pretty tough in Central Ohio.

o

Try to find sweet woodruff. I have it growing under my trees in my urban yard. It has white flowers in sring and loves shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here