Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyanca

Experience with 'neighbourhood rules'

karyanca
14 years ago

One thing I don't appreciate about living in an urban environment is the lack of freedom when it comes to gardening. Our neighbourhood not only has the official rules to protect property value and the rights of other owners to the enjoyment of their property, but it also has arbitrary, changeable and unwritten "standards" imposed by the local neighbourhood committees.

Not that I would deliberately break the official rules, but sometimes I feel paralysed from doing even the most basic things - even in my back garden. Legally, they have some limited rights to enforce standards. Practically, they mostly just send harassing letters because legal enforcement is quite expensive.

Does anyone have experiencing dealing with this? Do you take the "easier to get forgiveness than permission" approach or the "document everything and get it in writing" approach? Or something in between?

The changes I'm interested in doing are easily undone - although with a financial cost to me. I'm just sick to death of feeling like I have no rights to make changes to my own garden.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County