Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jszone6bnj

3 Teir container wall

jszone6bnj
18 years ago

I posted my concerns "Small Garden Planning". about using a small space 7 X 15 and making it intimate even though one side is 15 foot long and open. I want to buy or make 3 tier container shelves. It seems it would be easy to make one from cedar. Do they sell any type (already made) in season for less that $100 - 3 foot long and 3 shelvews high to 3 or 4 ft.

I could make one from cedar. Four 1x2 legs, 1x2 cross piece under each container. 1x6 bottom over cross piece at 4 ", 24' and 44'. 1 x6 sides. Sounds easy - did anyone make one?

Two of these would give me a green wall along with a maple in a container.

It is very windy in my back yard so the legs would have to be stakes that go a foot into the ground or - on the patio - the bottom would need a cross piece 18" wide (weighted?) to increase the effective side base from 7 inches to 18 inches.

Any experience?

I am new to raising a flock of seeds, astilbe, coleus, tomato, hibiscus, hosta, impatiens, Cyprus vine (later) and Morning glory (in the ground later). No I am not saving money after heater, seed kit and lights but its a lot of fun.

Comments (2)

• alison
    18 years ago

If you're looking for a way to save money (table space and stress) growing from seed, try winter sowing. It's worked really well for me, and for the first time since I started gardening on my own, I can actually use my kitchen and dining room tavles in winter!

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. Do you have a picture of something comparable? As long as you can visualize it, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to build, as long as you keep in mind how incredibly heavy well watered soil is. Even if you use styro or vermiculite or something like that in the containers -- wet soil is very heavy, and wood is very pliable and it will warp and bow over time.

I find it's helpful to wander the aisles of the box stores or a good local hardware store. Often I find the perfect thing for the job is something that's actually designed for another job!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter sowing forum

• jszone6bnj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maybe I could use a metal shelf unit or a plastic unit but it must look good.

A great place to shop for garden accessories is Home Goods. They have 40+ stores.

When I first visited, I asked my wife how can they make money. They tend to have one of everything and they are a fraction of the price at a decorator store. I can not see the economy of scale.

Well now that we shopped several times we see that when something fits your need at a good price you do not think about it and return later. You may never see it again. You grab it and run home. I got an 2ft high metal lantern that you can put a big candle in. It is very decorative with colored glass and will look great on a table as a gardena accent at night.

I walked in carrying it like a baby and told my wife I can not take a chance I will never see it again. We both laugh at this and now understand their strange strategy - very fast inventory turnover. They have many beautiful and unique containers, tables, shelves etc. If it looks perfect, grab it. The $30 lantern would cost 50, 80 or more at a decorator or an upscale garden store. They also own Marshals

Sponsored