Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pooispoois2

Hardy plants for shady area

pooispoois2
10 years ago

Good evening to all!

I'm trying to plant a problem spot on my garden where nothing seems to grow. The spot seems to have aggregated in the same space all possible aggressions!

The spot is a small area in the corner of our fence, which used to let light through but is now (intentionally) completeled covered up by a vine 2 m (6'6'') high, so that no direct light passes through. Also, the vine has completely rooted the soil, with thin roots present everywhere immediately below the surface. Competition with the vine and low light led to the grass slowly dying away.

After the grass died away, I tried planting some ferns, naturally adapted to the low light and high humidity of the spot. They died off and new ones sprouted, but remained dwarvish (shorter than my thumb!) and were eventually killed off by a snail plague (we took care of that) combined with a leaking pipe underground that turned the earth into mud and completely killed off anything green that still remained on the spot (even weeds).

Since then (this was about a year ago) nothing has ever grown back on the spot. I tried planting an overgrown peace lily I had inside the house there, but it did not make it.

The spot has therefore very peculiar conditions (different from the rest of the garden): always in shade (gets a fair amount of indirect light though, given the white walls of the house), temperature ranging from 5-25úC (41-77úF), high humidity throughout the year, and stiff competition from the vine. What could possibly grow here?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms