Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Tiny lawn anyone?

Anyone here with a really small lawn? I was thinking of putting one is and wanted to how many of us have one and why. I would like to see pictures, and know why you have it. I am talking about small...less than 200 sqft (My own would be around 140-160 sqft)

Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• floragal
    18 years ago

Well, my lawn is actually 10' x 24'- a little over the 200 sq ft, but it's still small. When we bought our 1/2 acre property it was literally a blank slate after a freak tornado blew through our town. (Our last house had 1 acre of grass that was ours and 2 more acres of grass abutting it. Talk about boring! And not very intimate.) When designing the gardens I wanted just enough lawn to create a "room" for sunbathing, quasi bocci ball, etc., and that's what I have. The rest is patio, ponds, mixed borders, a 'woodland walk' and a fenced-in rose garden. Eclectic for sure, but it represents our lifestyle and interests.

The thing I like best about our 'lawn' is the 5 minutes it takes to mow. (We use a reel mower-eco friendly.) The green of the lawn makes a nice backdrop for the mixed border, and it just feels good to lay on the grass every now and then without all the mainenance of a large lawn!

I'm at work right now, but will try to post pics later...

• dainaadele
    18 years ago

I would do it, because it becomes the oriental rug on the floor of the garden. Being a barefoot person, the feel would be the clincher for me. My gardening area is 25-35 and while I have whittled the grass away to less than half that size, I will at least keep it like a path, winding through the beds.. Oh the soft, cool feeling tickling your toes in the morning, while you walk out the the garden chair, with that first cup of coffee in the morning....

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

I have a really tiny lawn. A grass path really. I have it for the look and I'm thinking of changing to a fine pea gravel, since keeping it looking good is a lot of work for the space.

I have a dog...

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks floragal and dainaadele, I think I will go ahead and put in the lawn and see how it turns out!

wolfe15136...I'm thinking of changing from pea gravel to a lawn! I guess it depends on what you want to use the area for...how do you mow the path?

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    18 years ago

I'm surprised that no one has suggested a yard full of miniature plants. I think that would be fascinating. Just an idea.

Xtal

• klv13440
    18 years ago

I have a postage stamp lawn. I am not sure of the size most of it is taken up with a large garage and cement. we are trying to utilize ever square inch of it. I do alot of container gardening and hanging baskets everywhere.

• janetr
    18 years ago

Our lawn in the back is essentially just a path. We mow it with a weed wacker.

Original Author
    18 years ago

I would love to see pictures..

• janetr
    18 years ago

OK, you asked...

A corner of the back yard. The two arms of the lawn continue to the house and fence, on two sides of the patio. This gets mowed with a weed wacker.

The lawn in the front comes toward the camera another few feet. I'd cheerfully extend the bed, but I'm probably going to move again next year *sigh* so I'll restrain myself. A landscape maintenance company mows that, part of the condo thing...

• copanolady
    18 years ago

It may be small but those pictures are really pretty. Great job for a small space.

• janetr
    18 years ago

Thank you, Rose. I'm looking forward to this season very much, as last year everything went into the ground for the first time, other than a rosebush that grew from rootstock and never flowered. We dug it up this spring (more accurately, we sawed it out of the ground!) and replaced it with a PG hydrangea. Anyway, all my perennials were tiny babies last year, so this year should put on a better show, although I'm still adding.

{{gwi:1257171}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden pics - not exactly dazzling, but satisfying for me

Original Author
    17 years ago

Lovely pictures! who says size matters!!

• woost2
    17 years ago

ohh... mowing with a weed-whacker! I had not thought of that (see my tiny condo patio post). I figured grass means a mower and I don't want to own one! May consider giving myself a postage stamp of green, if I can whack it!

Sponsored