Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on where to put my containers

Posted by LadyMcN Utah (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 18:37

Hi! I am new to gardening of any kind. I started some seeds inside and consequently discovered the term and definition of "leggy seedlings." Live and learn.

I was hoping to get some sage advice on where in my narrow yard to put my containers once any of my currently surviving seedlings are big enough to transplant (and it stops snowing.

Hopefully this message will include a link to an aerial view of our mobile home park lot to give you an idea of what I am working with.

I appreciate any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: My lot in yellow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help on where to put my containers

• Posted by zuni 5a (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 13:55

I could not see your photo, and you didn't mention what you are trying to grow. Can you tell us more? At this point all I can suggest is making sure you choose plants that are appropriate for the light available. For outdoor containers, bigger pots are generally better.

o
RE: Need help on where to put my containers

I'm gardening in a mobile home park also, so I understand about the limited space! I bought 2 20gallon containers from Walmart, and put in osteo-? they're annual south African daisys, petunias, and I put a trellis at the back of the pots, thne planted Moon flower and 2 kinds of morming glory seeds that haven't come up yet. The only place available to put the containers where they get full sun is at the end of the driveway. I haven't had any problems w/anyone bothering them. I have a plant stand next to that,& put a hanging basket w/petunias, and on the bottom I planted some seed mix in a flower pot I found in the garage. The other side of the drive way gets morning sun, then shade the rest of the day, there I planted Hostas and Astillbe. I had to dig out the rocky clay soil and replace it w/composted manure before I could plant anything. It was at times back breaking and a lot of work, but the pay off has been worth it. In the yard I'm putting in a raised flower bed, because I'm not removing and dumping any more dirt! I also have containers of petunias on the concrete next to the house in between the front & back door. I have a swing, and put them on the 2 tables on either side of it. The mngt office here is good in allowing us to plant and make improvements on our lots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here