Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about strawberries

Posted by shadowfox306 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 21:02

I have a container sized strawberry plant and was wondering if the vines can be trimmed and maintained at a certain length or if it is better to let them grow. I was also wondering if it can survive under artificial light. I prefer sunlight but that is not possible with the space i have.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about strawberries

Hey shadowfox,

I have never successfully grown a strawberry that did not get at least half a day of full sun. :-\ That's not to say it can't be done, but I think the cost of building an adequate light/heat source for the plants might outweigh the value of the berries you'd get out of it. It's your call, though.

As to the vines, they're actually "runners" that wil become new plants if given soil to grow in. I usually trim them off and start them in small pots and then transfer them to a full sized bed once they are strong enough. But, again, it's pretty much up to you as far as how you want to deal with them.

Best of luck.

o

shadowfox306

If you heat your house with either propane or oil then it pays to heat with CFL's and use their waste byproduct "light" to grow plants under. Chose your variety carefully as some do much better than others in low light. I am giving up on strawberries as they are problematic and have no shelf life. I have quit researching them and can't help you here.

Look into alpine strawberries. that may be what you will really like

DTMF I was not aware that the runner could be clipped and rooted separately. My friend will appreciate this .

o

I find my strawberry runners do better if I plant the end of the runner in a small pot and I use a U nail to hold it down until it roots. I give them a week or two. Then I clip them from the mother plant. Last year I lost the few runners that I clipped first and then planted.

As far as artificial light goes...I don't know the answer. I do know that the more sun the berry plant gets, the sweeter it will be. I don't know if the artificial lights have the same benefits for fruits.

Good luck! J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here