Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fliptx

Ideas for small veggie harvests

fliptx
17 years ago

Sometimes I harvest enough in a day for a side dish or even a whole meal (especially from my rampant summer squash plants), but other times, the pickins are slim.

Today for instance, only 8 snap beans were ready for harvest on my Maxibel plants, and 3 cherry tomatoes. I could have put them in the fridge and picked more tomorrow, but pshaw! I wanted to eat them today.

So I blanched them with a little onion and celery, and marinated them in a touch of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, a dash of sugar and salt. Right before serving them on top of a (storebought) Romaine lettuce salad, I tossed in the cherry tomatoes, halved. It really stretched the tiny harvest.

What do you do with small harvests?

Comments (8)

• dainaadele
    17 years ago

That's about how I do it. I have witnessed the overabundance senario too often, when you have way too much and start foisting veggies on neighbors, friends, the person who happened to be walking by.... That has cured me to the point that I only plant for instant gratification eating. 1 tomato, 1 cucumber, dozen corn stalks grouped together... for two people, it's plenty.

• fliptx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I generally plant two of everything, for two people and one veggie-loving dog. I plant lots of tomatoes, though, because I'm paranoid about losing some to disease or pests.

I made more marinated green beans today with the 10 beans I picked this morning. I've also been using cherry tomatoes on top of sandwiches, skewered with a toothpick.

• dainaadele
    17 years ago

I'm still looking at the possibility of snow showers tomorrow. Sigh.

• janetr
    17 years ago

Make up a poor man's spaghetti, stir fry the vegetables and put them on top.

To make Poor man's spaghetti aka Spaghetti al uovo (sp?), you need to beat one egg for every 100 grams of spaghetti (dry weight) and have some melted butter ready. Immediately after draining the spaghetti, pour the beaten eggs on the pasta and toss it till the egg has coated the spaghetti and cooked on. Pour the melted butter on and serve with grated Romano (fresh, not that horrible dried out stuff they sell on grocery shelves). And of course, top with the veggies.

• georgeiii
    17 years ago

How about growing all the veggies you want in just an 2'x4'x6' space?

You can grow 80 plants in that space. Those beans won't get lonely if you got 20 to choose from.

The frame holds 48 pods and 32 in trays...all in a 2'x4'x6' area.
    {{gwi:336821}}

• sdrawkcab
    17 years ago

Georgiii- this may be a dumb question but why do you "roll" the top lip of the 2L bottle? structural stability? or just so you dont cut your hand on the sharp plastic edges?

• georgeiii
    17 years ago

To collect moisture and funnel it right back into the pod.

By the way...I used 32 oz cups with my uncut 2 liter bottles. They come with lids. I use a small soderling iron to cut a hole in the lids for outside hydroponic setups. The lid acts just like the curved lip. Keep the media level as close to the top as you can. That will keep your evaporation loss way down.

• sdrawkcab
    17 years ago

wow. i learned something today. nice pic demonstrating it too.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?