Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for small veggie harvests

Posted by fliptx 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 21:28

Sometimes I harvest enough in a day for a side dish or even a whole meal (especially from my rampant summer squash plants), but other times, the pickins are slim.

Today for instance, only 8 snap beans were ready for harvest on my Maxibel plants, and 3 cherry tomatoes. I could have put them in the fridge and picked more tomorrow, but pshaw! I wanted to eat them today.

So I blanched them with a little onion and celery, and marinated them in a touch of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, a dash of sugar and salt. Right before serving them on top of a (storebought) Romaine lettuce salad, I tossed in the cherry tomatoes, halved. It really stretched the tiny harvest.

What do you do with small harvests?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for small veggie harvests

That's about how I do it. I have witnessed the overabundance senario too often, when you have way too much and start foisting veggies on neighbors, friends, the person who happened to be walking by.... That has cured me to the point that I only plant for instant gratification eating. 1 tomato, 1 cucumber, dozen corn stalks grouped together... for two people, it's plenty.

o

I generally plant two of everything, for two people and one veggie-loving dog. I plant lots of tomatoes, though, because I'm paranoid about losing some to disease or pests.

I made more marinated green beans today with the 10 beans I picked this morning. I've also been using cherry tomatoes on top of sandwiches, skewered with a toothpick.

o

I'm still looking at the possibility of snow showers tomorrow. Sigh.

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 21:19

Make up a poor man's spaghetti, stir fry the vegetables and put them on top.

To make Poor man's spaghetti aka Spaghetti al uovo (sp?), you need to beat one egg for every 100 grams of spaghetti (dry weight) and have some melted butter ready. Immediately after draining the spaghetti, pour the beaten eggs on the pasta and toss it till the egg has coated the spaghetti and cooked on. Pour the melted butter on and serve with grated Romano (fresh, not that horrible dried out stuff they sell on grocery shelves). And of course, top with the veggies.

o

How about growing all the veggies you want in just an 2'x4'x6' space?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
You can grow 80 plants in that space. Those beans won't get lonely if you got 20 to choose from.
The frame holds 48 pods and 32 in trays...all in a 2'x4'x6' area.

o

Georgiii- this may be a dumb question but why do you "roll" the top lip of the 2L bottle? structural stability? or just so you dont cut your hand on the sharp plastic edges?

o

To collect moisture and funnel it right back into the pod.
By the way...I used 32 oz cups with my uncut 2 liter bottles. They come with lids. I use a small soderling iron to cut a hole in the lids for outside hydroponic setups. The lid acts just like the curved lip. Keep the media level as close to the top as you can. That will keep your evaporation loss way down.

o

wow. i learned something today. nice pic demonstrating it too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here