Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzswalkerjr

Help! Small patio/backyard (w/pics)

mzswalkerjr
18 years ago

Hi everyone.

I have a tiny area. I want to make this into an extension of my home but outside. I want to be able to eat out here with my family and entertain guests. I would like to put containers and a tiny water feature. My nieghbor says that I can only fit a two-person table out here...that's what she did. But I think I can go for four. I am also in the process of fencing this area in. The fence will connect where the two divider fences end. So it will be more like a rectangle. Help. Suggestions please.

{{gwi:1257215}}

{{gwi:1257237}}

{{gwi:1257238}}

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• mzswalkerjr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here are the pics a little bigger so that you can see them better.

{{gwi:25197}}

{{gwi:25199}}

{{gwi:25201}}

• janetr
    18 years ago

As far as the table is concerned, check out IKEA. They have some outdoor tables with fold-down leaves, so when they're not actually being used for four people, they take up less room. If you put too large a table in that space, it's going to feel very cramped.

I would suggest looking into containers and/or trellises that can be hung on the fence. You could set stepping stones into the grass to put larger containers on, so as not to take away too much space from your patio.

• aktnyc
    18 years ago

Trellises, absolutely.You need to disguise that ugly pump--is it a pump?--but you also need to be able to reach it for adjustment or whatever, so don't grow thorny roses up that particular trellis! Is that square thing made of cement? It's not very attractive now, but with a table and chairs and pretty pots, it could be transformed. How much sun does this side of the house get? Also, instead of a fence to connect the existing fences, why not connect them with a big trellis to make the space feel airier, also to give whatever grows in the patio more chance at sunlight.

• dainaadele
    18 years ago

Hey! I'm jumping in here a little late, but I have a suggestion.... I also want to say that I think I just found my home forum. Grin. Our house is on half an acre, but somehow the city girl in me is having a hard time thinking beyond our row home yard in Philly. I am gardening on one small section, making it cozy, and letting my husband have his green lawn on the rest. Anyhow, as far as a fence, you may find that it will close you in too much, even a lattice the whole way would do the same thing. How about putting in a few medium height shrubs or flowers, making something like arms going in from both sides but leaving the center open a few feet. It would create a feel of privacy without enclosing. It would also allow for get togethers to slip out into the lawn a bit if needed. Like I said, just a thought. You may have a need to actualy put a barrier up, I remember the neighbors kids driving my mother nuts. Either way, have fun with you blank slate. By the way, (here I go again) they make a stain for concrete that can turn it into a nice terra cotta.

Daina.

• JenWestie
    17 years ago

You need at least 100 sq ft for a table of four, in order for everyone to sit comfortably. I don't think your slab is that large. Everyone has had great ideas with the trellis and pots.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting