Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
birds & window boxed tomatoes

Posted by brklyngrl zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 9:30

so, my tender little tomato seedlings suffered a massacre over the weekend -- at the hands (beaks?) of birds!

this winter/spring we installed window boxes onto our windows in order to increase the amount of flora we're exposed to & to give growing our own food in our NYC apartment a shot.

i planted tomato seeds, grew beautiful little seedlings, and planted the tomato babies in the window box. within a week, the birds had found them & eaten them.

around each window box i've set up fishing line to deter birds. the line floats 2 inches above the boxes and is strung between two bamboo skewers. this was in-place before the bird attack.

does anyone have any other great methods for keeping birds away? preferably none too ugly?

(on a happier note, the lettuces, cilantro, snow peas, sunflowers, kale & sweet peas are thriving!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: birds & window boxed tomatoes

It is wonderful for me to hear the someone in the busy NYC is planting a garden. I have 3 children. They have all experienced growing plants from seeds. When I read your post my mind took me back to when my youngest planted a seed and the same thing happened to "FRED"-the name she had given to her plant. We had a spinning flag, those kid toy spin wheel fans with a stick. We put that right beside the plant. It did work.

o
RE: birds & window boxed tomatoes

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Sun, May 20, 12 at 11:56

You could also cover your plants with green tulle until the birds no longer find them to be tender and juicy temptations...they will lose their appeal as they take root and grow.

However, window boxes are too small for many varieties of tomatoes. Do you know what yours were?

Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here