Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Garden over flood area in concrete backyard

Posted by design367 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 13:49

I am renting a home in center city Philadelphia and have a small walled concrete slab for a backyard. The slab is very old and has sunken such that when it rains all the water/other junk bypasses the in-ground drain and pools in the back corner. It then sits there for a day or two while it evaporates.

I am thinking about building a small food garden over that spot. Is this a good idea? Should I allow the rainwater to pool under the garden or should I try and seal the bottom so no water passes underneath?

I am worried that the rainwater may cause mold or other damage if it sits.

Fixing the concrete is not an option because I am renting and the landlord already said no.

I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Garden over flood area in concrete backyard

I would be concerned about the drainage. Having water sit for a day or two is generally not a good thing. I think raised beds (I'm thinking like raised beds that are tables) might be your best bet

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised bed tables

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 12:03

Container gardening is the way I would go. You can have a lush looking patio now, and take the plants with you, or sell them if you move.

o

I agree that container gardening is the way to go. I also live in Philadelphia. I grow my vegetables in containers in my yard. I went to Home Depot and bought 6 concrete blocks and a piece of ply wood. I put my containers on top. The raised bed planters are also very nice that were recommended.

o

Amsonia that is a lovely garden.

You just gave me an idea to do the same maybe next year but I would face problems, one being that the Super here even if I got permission to garden in the enclosed courtyard would sabotage my garden along with some of the tenants.

There used to be about two or three strips of exposed dirt like what you see in the center of parked cars to keep them parking straight. I eyed those dreaming about one day planting a garden but the Super is such a tool I never inquired. Well eventually the LL covered them over with concrete. :(

I heard the Super is leaving (God I hope this is true) so I might work up the nerve for a roof garden. Or I might try a vertical garden and pray no one bothers it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here