Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Looking for shade-loving vines or climbers

alison
13 years ago

I'm trying to take advantage of as much vertical space as I can in my little back yard, and I'm thinking about either growing vines up or hanging trailers in pots down, the surface of a fence that gets virtually no direct light. Not suprisingly, I'm not finding a lot of canidates. (No ivy; there's a ton of it ggrowing in the yard on the other side of the house, and musch as I like it on the neighbors fence, I'm trying to keep it away from my brick house.) Here's what I'm looking at:

Vines

Fleecevine (Polygonum aubertii)

Hardy, fast-growing -- can be invaisive

{{gwi:1257270}}

Climbing hydrangea (Schizophragma hydrangeoides)

Hardy, slow-growing

Porcelain-berry (Ampelopsis brevipedunculata )

Hardy, invaisive in some states. Leaves are so-so, flowers are insignificant, but the berries are pretty dramatic.

{{gwi:1257272}}

Trailers

Fuschia

Sweet potato vine

Trailing begonia

Moses-in-a-basket (Setcreasea)

{{gwi:1257273}}

Any other suggestions?

('m actually getting into the idea of baskets of setcreasea and that chartreuse yellow sweet potato vine. Way to glow!)

Comments (9)

• alison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comment carrieb -- that's why I love posting things on forums!

I've heard some gardeners express regrets about the porcelain berry vine -- don't know if it's classified as a hazard. But that's probably reason enough to avoid it in a small space. (I don't want to be responsible for burying all of Woodland Park!)

I came across a "climbing hydrangea" at the garden center this weekend and was a bit confused that the requirements seemd different than what I had read for Schiophragma. Two differnt plants going by the same name would explain the confusion. Have you had any experience with either of them?

I've actually had good luck with growing sweet potato vine in shady conditions -- probably not as vigourous growth in as in brighter light, but pretty good. And that chartreuse varity is such a shade brightner!

• JohnnieB
    13 years ago

As long as it's bright shade you have a lot of options. Many vines will do well or at least TOLERATE light shade, especially if you're not growing them for flowers. (In fact many--most?--vines are adapted to surviving in shade until they can climb up to the sun.)

Porcelain berry is a terrible weed. It doesn't grow in my garden but pops up all over from little "gifts" the birds leave for me, and grows very rapidly. Consider Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) as an attractive alternative--it's also rather weedy but at least it's native and has nice fall color. Its Chinese cousin, Parthenocissus henryana, is somewhat less aggressive, has very handsome silver-marked foliage and similar brilliant red fall foliage.

Trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans) will take some shade, although it may not bloom as well as in sun. Ditto some clematis, although how much shade they will tolerate will probably depend on the species or cultivar.

Other vines that will do well in light shade are hops (Humulus) and Akebia. Even some grape species will grow in shade, as long as you're not growing it for fruit.

• Carrie B
    13 years ago

Hi Alison,

I have both climbing hydrangea (two varieties, H. petioralis and H. cordifolia) and Schizophragma (rosea) growing in my garden. My experience has been that they do like similar conditions; part shade (but not dense shade), even moisture and a VERY strong structure (preferably a solid concrete/brick wall) to grow up.

JohnnyB's suggestion of Parthenocissus is a good one. I have P. henryana, and absolutely love it! I tried Parthenocissus 'Fenway park', a golden chartreuse cultivar of Boston Ivy, but it didn't survive in my garden. I will try it again should I find it.

• alison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Parthenocissus henryana looks like a real possibility -- thanks!

(images from the web)

• susan2010
    13 years ago

Another, possibly overlooked, option is clematis. Although it does love sun, the roots need to stay cool. Depending on your site, if the top portion of the vine can grow "above" the shade get some sun it could work.

I have, and LOVE, the climbing hydrangea. I have it growing up an oak tree and a sugar maple. It tolerates, at least in my yard, quite a bit of shade just fine. Pretty red bark in the winter.

• alison
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And there is a ton of sun on the other side of the fence. But then, I get the stems and they get the flowers....

Of course, I enjoy the roses from the bush planted by the neighbor on the *other* side of me, so maybe I should payback!

• fallfares
    13 years ago

I'm glad I stumbled on this post, I was just wondering the same thing! The people nextdoor have several evil and very aggressive (and HUGE, at this point) weed trees in their yard, which have turned my full sun yard into a almost completely shaded yard. I chase the sun with a lot of my veggies and such, but I figured I should work with it on the part of my chain-link fence that is exposed and heavily shaded.

I actually do have a clematis which is growing INTO the shade, which I thought was funny. I was getting ready to to move it from the pot it's in to the ground and I relized it had started up my fence already and into the shade. I wish Morning Glories weren't so invasive because they do grow like crazy and put on a good show. But if you plant one, you'll be fighting them for years to come!

• bobkerry
    13 years ago

hey i do have one shade plant which is really awsome and it is beautiful...my friends want them but it is tje only colorful plant which i do have and apart from this it is one of the best mean of shade

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living