Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with first raised garden/bugs

Posted by mari66 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 15:31

Hello every one !! I have been away for several months--BTW my Jades are doing very well in the gritty mix-and with all great info I learned here---thanks to you --
This is the first time we are using a raised bed veggie garden- -my grand daughter (Katelynn) and I started most seedlings in doors--just planting now- this is some of the problems she is having and I have no clue how to help her--

She wrote:
GB is full of worms which is good but it also has some white small beetle looking bugs that live under the soil...do u have any idea what these bugs are?? They are tiny and don't seem to be doing damage...yet. I tried to google them but came up with nothing. Also have been seeing little bright green flies all over all the plants, flowers included. Thought they might be aphids but aphids don't fly? Hmmm..if u know anything about bugs please help me out. The only thing I know is that I hate bugs!!!
I am going to have her join as you guys are great and did so much for me- Thanks Mari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with first raised garden/bugs

I know this is an old post & you've probably already found out by now, but I thought I might reply in case anyone else had the same questions...

The white wormy things you're finding just under the soil are grubs. I'm pretty sure they turn into japanese beetle type beeltes that will eventually eat the leaves & basically become pets.

They fly around in June & get stuck in your hair, blick. You can by milky spore stuff to innoculate your soil to get rid of them.

The flying green things have me stumped :) Good luck and I also don't tolerate creepy crawlies well, so I feel your pain :)

Antoinette

Here is a link that might be useful: all about grubs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here