Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

need help with lasagna gardening

I have a 20' x 20' plot but the soil there is horrible; it's not fertile; tried to grow stuff in it last year (using the soil that was there without amending it) and it was a disaster.

I asked if I could just put the soil mixture I use for container gardening onto my existing plot (it's a mixture of fine pine bark mulch, spaghnum peat moss, vermiculite, dolomite lime, sand and a slow release pelleted fertilizer).

The sand IS NOT sandy soil, it's just normal, beige sand.

This is where somebody suggested lasagna gardening. I normally do container gardening but I realize how difficult it is to grow stuff like melons and squash in container gardens; even the bush types sprawl.

I was recommended to hold the soil mixture in, I should frame it with bricks or wood. This is going to seem like a really stupid question, but if I'm framing it in, wouldn't this be like a container garden? This is something I'm trying to avoid to give the plants the room they need to sprawl.

Is lasagna gardening a form of container gardening or is it raised bed gardening? I've really only done container gardening. I've heard of raised beds and lasagna gardening, however I've never actually done it myself.

When you make the frame with the lasagna gardening how tall does it need to be? Does this depend on what plant is being grown in it?

If so the dimensions for all my squash is a 3-5 foot spread; my butternut has a height of 10"-12", and my spaghetti squash has a height of 18"-24". Unfortunately I don't know the dimensions of my other squash, which are kabocha (Japanese pumpkin, much smaller than American Pumpkins) and my melons. With the melons they'll have a spread of about 3-5 feet, and their vines are about 5'-6'

long.

How many layers do you use per lasagna garden? I was just thinking of doing one 'frame' for each plant being grown in it.

Since lasagna gardening is supposedly a form of raised bed gardening are hills necessary? Also even if the hills aren't necessary would you be able to do 2-3 plants per raised bed or not?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus