Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dorm Gardening

Posted by staticembrace 55105 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 21:44

All of my life I have had a love affair with plants. My mom worked in a nursery as i was growing up and I'm had a personal garden since I was old enough to dig in the dirt and water petunias. Back home I have a potted mother-in-law's tongue, a fern, and a spider plant to go along with my huge fruits/veggies/flowers garden, but now that I'm living in a dorm in central Minnesota gardening has become a non option. To be honest, without my plants I've been pining away. So I've decided that I want to garden inside. If I go another year without plants I feel like I might die. Do you have any suggestions to more interesting things that can survive indoors. I'm not new to gardening itself, just the keeping it indoor part. Any other tips or tricks would be infinitely appreciated. I think/hope this is the right place for this but if not could you direct me to the appropriate location to post this?
Thanks so much
~Static

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dorm Gardening

How about looking at the house plant forum? Lots of help there.

o

I don't know if you have found an answer to your dorm room constraints, but if you are working strictly indoors on limited space, I would suggest african violets. They are a fun little challenge, don't require a ton of space, have lots of pretty varieties, and they are raised by a lot of really nice people. AV people are some of the nicest around, and it is really satisfying when your plant puts out new blooms. Just an idea!

o

I do like orchids, air plants, and carnivorous plants, to name a few. You can supply their light needs from a window if you have a good spot, or else a single lamp. You are not having an entire indoor growing area so one lamp on a few plants may suffice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here