Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
side of house garden between house and sidewalk

Posted by geegirl (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 07 at 8:33

I have small 2-3 foot width garden that goes along the side of my house and on the other side of the garden is a sidewalk. I need an idea of a mixture of small evergreen shrubs and flowering plants that do not grow in width but can in height...any ideas for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: side of house garden between house and sidewalk

Hmm... can you tell us a little more about growing conditions? How much sun/shade does this area get? What growing zone/part of Canada are you in? How long is the strip? Is anything already growing there?

More info, please. :)

o

Southern ontario next to detroit,michigan... area is the whole side of our garage about 1 1/2 car lengths...it does not get daytime sun only around 4-4:30 it starts getting sun till sunset..right now i have one spirea shrub at each end, i need 3 small shrubs perferably an evergreen or even a tree, that will grow in height but only 2-3 feet wide because we still want to be able to walk on our sidewalk to get to the backyard.....

o

I wonder if "Green Tower" boxwood would work for you? It's hardy to US growing zone 5 & is supposed to grow 9' tall & 2-3' wide. Otherwise, what about something like an ornamental grass? Karl Foerster "feather reed" grass comes to mind. Or maybe you could grow ivy up the side for evergreen color and then plant ferns/flowers in the bed?

o

Suggestion: rudbeckia Goldsturm, blue fescue, coreopsis Moonbeam, yellow/golden cypress, should work. Echinacia (purpurea) may work. I use the others successfully with late afternoon sun.

o

If you want height, then you may want to consider two types of junipers, Spartan and Skyrocket. Spartan is supposed to grow up to 20 tall and be 3-4' wide while Skyrocket would suit your needs even better, growing 10-15' tall but only 1-2' wide. Another tall and narrow evergreen is Sky Pencil holly, but I'm not sure if it is hardy enough for a Canadian winter. You'd have to check out the zones for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here