Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine suggestions

Posted by fernsk z2 Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 10:08

Hi all

I'm in the process of designing and planting a new flower bed and think that I would like to include some vines. My yard actually presents itself as a microclimate where I can grow up to zone 5 pretty successfully depending on snow cover which recently hasn't been a problem. My entire space is 17 x 17.5 feet with a 6 foot fence. The first area where I would like to include a vine [supported by a trellis or obilisk] is in the sw corner an area that gets some sun from about 8-12 but then is in shade - I should mention that my yard gets really hot during the summer because of a straight south location and white stucco and cement. I am going to plant a bugbane brunette in the same area but would like something to provide a backdrop and some extra height at least as tall as the fence. Any suggestions?

Fern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine suggestions

Clematis. Then add more Clematis. They like their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun.

o

Do you think that clematis would do okay against the white building? It would have a straight south exposure but would have a small raised bed in front of it with cucumbers growing in it. I've come to the conclusion that I might not really have room for a longterm vine near the bugbane.

Fern

o

Absolutely! There are so many different kinds of clematis that the hard part will be which one to choose. Then after that one shows you how beautiful it is you'll have other difficult choices -- which one next!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here