Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice about small planter

Posted by naturedoc z5 CO (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 07 at 21:33

Hello!
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this question, but here goes...

I live in Denver, so a semi-arid climate. I have a small area, about 1' x 2', that gets no sun in the mornings, but gets direct sun in the mid-late afternoon. It also is very close to a brick wall, so it gets plenty of heat as well. This area is also under an awning, so the only water it gets is if I water it. I've tried to plant a few things in here...pansies just wilted, despite much watering, although hydrangeas seemed to thrive this spring. I would like to plant something attractive in this area that can withstand these variable daily conditions, and which doesn't attract bees (it's right by the front door). Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice about small planter

Hmmm....Sedums? Portulaca?

o
RE: Advice about small planter

Suggestion, grow heuchera and hakone for the foliage. Mine get late afternoon sun for about two hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here