Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cainer_gw

snowcap shasta daisies

cainer
13 years ago

I am basically new to gardening and i went to a lot of trouble and expense to make my condo look nicer with lots of new perennials. I spent over $200 in perennials and about another $300 amending my clay soil with 3-way and compost. I also tilled about 6 inches of the clay soil, leaving me with about a 12 inch base of good soil.

Add in the 30 hours or so of labour, id say i got a lot of time and money invested. I completed this project 2 weeks ago and everything looked nice when it was completed.

I however have one problem now and thats with my snowcap shasta daisies. I bought 3 of them and placed them in the front yard in front of the coreopsis. I planted them with a handful of bonemeal and gave them liquid fertilizer after 4 days.

One of them had wilted so badly and had finished blooming, that i had to cut it down to the ground, due to it looking ugly. A few days later,one of the other shasta daisies is also wilting and has only about 4 blooms left on it with no new buds. I thought these were long time bloomers?

All i have left is one shasta daisy and it looks good but, it has no new buds on it, so, im afraid in a week or so, this one will also look like crap.

The soil they are planted in is very good, but, the two weeks it was in the garden, we did have a terrible hot spell, where it got to around 90 every day with the humidity. Not much rain either, so i watered them basically everyday and sometimes twice a day. Maybe i drowned them, but, everything else in the garden seems to be doing just fine. The garden area also gets a few hours of sunshine early in the day and about 4 hours of afternoon sunshine.

When i bought the snowcap shasta daisies, they were in half bloom. The odd thing however was each Snowcap Shasta Daisy had what looked like a huge spent bloom, right in the center of the flower, so i deadheaded them all.(maybe i wasnt suppose to do that?) Then when a flower looked dead, i also dead headed it by running my finger down the stem to the next leaf and pinching it off in that area.(not sure if this was correct or not)

So my question is this, did i over water them and drown them? Do they just bloom once, with no new buds forming and then die off? Did i kill it by deadheading the center of them?

Thanks to all replies.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz