Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

what to do with jasminum officinale in potted garden

Lynn Nevins
17 years ago

Hi all. Is anyone familiar with jasminum officinale? I just bought a small plant of it recently. I think it's hardy to zone 10 or something. I am in zone 6. I was told that I should bring it in in the winter, and that it will do well as an indoor plant. Is that true? Also, is this generally considered a climbing plant?

For ease of movement to/from my outdoor potted garden, would it make sense to put it in a pot, with one of those V-shaped trellises INSIDE for the pot, for the plant to grow up? And then just bring the whole thing inside for the winter?

I initially thought it might be good to allow the plant to grow up the (unattractive) cinderblock walls of my patio (and therefore not have any type of trellis inside the pot), in order to hide the walls. But then I'm not sure 1) whether or not this plant self-suckers, or if it would need some type of trellis support against the wall and 2) what would I then do when it was time to bring the plant back indoors... just cut the plant down to say 2' in height, add a trellis inside the pot, and bring it indoors? And then just leave the cut/remaining plant just hanging on the walls outside?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting