Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to the forum

Posted by dirtygardener73 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 15:17

Hi!
I'm in Florida, and usually always post there, but I just moved to an apartment, so I only have a tiny space to garden now, and NO sun at all! I'm going to try to grow a few shade-tolerant veggies, and am looking into ways to utilize space. I have a 5x8 patio, and most of my plants will be hung up. I'm going to string some wire on the sunniest end and try to grow pole beans there, because I heard they do well in partial shade. We'll see. I'm also looking at doing some pallet gardens for lettuce and small greens. I can just prop those up against the wall.

I do have one long, shady space under my windows, but there are a lot of roots there. The grounds manager says that if I plant something there, she will give me mulch, but it will have to be something that doesn't need much root space. I'm looking at maybe doing mulch and containers there, or build it up with leaves, which are very plentiful in the fall.

That area will get a little more sunlight in the fall and winter, because it is under mostly deciduous trees, but it does get cold here in north-central FL, so anything I plant there will have to be cold hardy.

I do have some rather large expanses of wall on that side, so I'd like to grow some shade-tolerant vines. We have coral vines and Virginia creeper growing wild, but I'd really like something with nice blooms. Is there a clematis that tolerates deep shade? I know coral honeysuckle does, and we have hummingbirds here, that's why I was thinking about that or the coral vine.

Any suggestions would be welcome. My apartment faces north.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to the forum

Hi. Welcome to gardenweb. Sorry nobody closer to you has had anything to say. Hope it's going well. I don't know of any shade-loving vines but the lower the latitude, the more powerful the sun is. There is also a FL forum you might want to visit if you haven't already, and/or check out the clematis forum for discussions about sun/shade tolerance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here