Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottomless containers on concrete in school garden, Help!

Posted by mandm_school 9 or 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 15:21

I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I am running a school garden that is in the middle of a quad area. It is 5 beds (3 x 6 foot and 11inch deep) wood with no bottoms. They sit on concrete. They were previously lined with landscape fabric but this has posed a problem with far too much water loss. So this year we lined with plastic with drainage holes cut into it and now I have the major problem of putting soil back.

Unfortunatly the soil I found at the bottoms and realy for most of the container was construction leftovers. It has rocks, and is realy dense.

Can I amend it with vermiculite or moss? Or do I have to start over with potting mix?

Any advice would be helpful.
I will post pictures shortly.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottomless containers on concrete in school garden, Help!

My guess is that the folks in the Container Gardening area would be able to help you in case you don't get the answers you need in this forum.

o
RE: bottomless containers on concrete in school garden, Help!

Why don't you add bottoms? Buy plywood (they may even cut it to size for you at lumber yard/store), drill 1/2 in holes, add landscape fabric if you like, elevate it with some old bricks, (distributed to support the weight of the bottom/dirt). I think that would solve the problem....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here