Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvamama_gw

i hate grass! (new)

rvamama
14 years ago

We bought our first house and I want my lawn gone! Our front yard gets the best sun and all that grass (or weed) is such a waste.

I have plans to plant some vine plants (squash, green beans and tomatoes) vertically along our front porch and perhaps some sunflowers. I would also like to put in a couple of small vegetable beds as well. (4x6' or 4x8).

My question: I want to plant a border of flowers along the sidewalk in front of the vegetable beds. 1.) i love flowers. and 2.) i don't want to upset our new neighbors too much (we just moved into the area).

Any suggestions? Ideally hardy, low maintenance perennials. In order to leave enough walking room for weeding and such the border would only be about 3 ft. deep.

My little herb garden is in the backyard by our kitchen door (the only sun in the backyard), and even though we have a corner lot I don't sweat passers-by seeing that garden. It's a complete joy, but it's not enough. The front yard is so -- front and center. I'm a little nerves. Once I start smothering that grass there is no turning back. But my compost in cooking and I want to get started this fall. Please Help! Pictures are wonderful!!!

Sponsored