Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing My Front Lawn

Posted by heebiejeebie Buffalo NY (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 22:22

I'd like to replace my small (8 feet by 6 feet) front lawn with floral bed, like i see many other urban gardeners do.

However, I'd really like low-maintenance plants, hardy things that I wont mind stepped on. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing My Front Lawn

I live in the city, and I've replaced my entire front lawn (about a 20' x 20' space) with various groundcovers, with dwarf shrubs and conifers as foundation plantings. You cannot go wrong with groundcovers: easy maintenance, low water consumption, plus year round interest. Some of my favorites:

any of the sedums
lamb's ear
hens and chicks
the really dwarf geraniums
plumbago
all of the dwarf veronicas
various heucheras
dwarf lavanders
dianthus
dwarf nepeta
etc., etc.

I basically just put them in whereever, but I have two rules: they have to be true groundcovers (no higher than 4-6" for base foliage; flowers can rise above the base foliage, but they have to look "airy"), and they have to be in the cool (blue, purple, glaucous) color range. Nice foliage is a real plus, and adds the year-round interest, even here in Wisconsin.

Some day I will put snappies up of my garden. But only when I get the time/learn to use our digital camera.

Good luck & enjoy your garden!

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 21, 06 at 17:08

Be warned, none of them can take as much foot traffic as grass. So you might want to put a well-placed rock or two to discourage people walking across.

Creeping Jenny can take a little foot traffic, as can thyme.

Janet's Garden

o

You might want to consider adding a berm along the sidewalk, or at least part of it. It will help to keep foot traffic from the street off your planted area, and will, in fact, add to your available planting space.

o

There aren't any "floral" plants that can be walked upon the way a grass can!
Grass is the easiest of all "lawns" to maintain. Other plants require pruning, weeding, deadheading, replacing from time to time, and you'd have to walk on what you have to get into the center.

o

Something to consider, If folks are walking on the floral area, its also a habitat for bees. I love bees, but bees and feet/ankles/pantlegs arent allways the best combo. I am sure there are lots of flowering areas you can have that wll be the hight of and less care than grass, (I hate lawn and dont have it) But safety is something to consider along with the hardiness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here