Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warpatato

Half sunny and half rainy almost everyday

warpatato
9 years ago

Hi. I'm very new to gardening. Gardening is something that I've come up to do as a hobby like 1-2 months ago. But I haven't focus much on it until a few weeks before now. I've already picked a small spot in our front yard and built a wooden pen for a raised bed. But the weather has been really going crazy these few days or weeks. In the morning up until noon, it would be sunny but in the afternoon it would rain. In fact this afternoon and last night, there are strong winds and fairly heavy rain, enough to flood the front yard like 1-2 inches of water.

I already planted mung bean and green bean on the side of the pen(un-raised) while I wait for my compost to be ready ( to fill the pen with it). The mung bean plant has already grown at least 5-7 inches but the green bean has just been sprouting and currently submerged in water 2/3 the way up. I'm a bit worried for my future plants (and the ones that are currently planted) in the raise bed would suffer if not by drowning, maybe by too much water as the yard is relatively low and gets flooded easily. I would approximate the height of my pen to be 2 inches high if not 3.

Any suggestions? To what height I should raise (or lower, or if isn't really necessary) the bed? Or should I suspend it from the ground? Or build a drainage (if yes, how?). I'm planning to plant bitter gourd, green beans, and mung means in it, possibly also tomato, eggplant and okra. I forgot the exact specification of the pen but as far as I could remember it's only 2x2 feet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day.

Comment (1)