Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy container plants on concrete

Posted by sarahsgarden California (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 15:06

I need to find hearty plants to put in 16" square planter boxes that are located on concrete at our school. There are 34 planter boxes in the courtyard. I think lantana will work, along with boxwood, heavenly bamboo, some types of rosemary, lavendar, and sage. What are your recommendations. We need some color and some variety, but don't want to replace these plants often. We are located in the Santa Clarita Valley and have hot summers and mild winters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy container plants on concrete

First question would have to be - how much do the kids respect the plantings? If they sit on, walk over, drop rubbish in, then you'll need to plant something different from that which you'd plant if care was taken.

I'd be a bit wary about the rosemary and such. Bees are attracted to these plants - and some kids are highly allergic to stings.

What's locally native for you? If you have any natural science work as part of the Science curriculum then the planting could be a useful resource as well as an attractive feature.

Otherwise - perennial coloured grasses and, perhaps, Echeveria species or varieties?

o
RE: Hardy container plants on concrete

I had great success neglecting plants like cosmos (several varieties, and you should deadhead to keep the blooms coming, but that goes for lantana too), russian sage, coreopsis (also lots of varieties - I like tickseed as well as moonbeam); and the wonderful biennial lychnis coronaria, a.k.a. rose campion. They were all tough plants in my garden, and the non-perennials were good self-seeders.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Small Spaces And Urban Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here