Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angeline84_gw

Cat Urine in Compost?

Angeline84
12 years ago

Hi everyone - I've been a long-time lurker to this forum and you guys have seriously inspired my composting addiction! But, now I have a question...

I have a cat who is a little upset that we recently moved to a house (yay for getting to start my first garden this spring!!). Unfortunately, she has taken up the habit of spraying. She's on Prozac and getting better, but I'm going through quite a few paper towels soaking up cat urine and I just had a lightbulb moment - can I compost these? Obviously, I would not want to compost any that have cleaner I'm using on them, only ones with urine.

Now, I know human urine is good for a compost, but is there anything to worry about with cat urine? Is the amount of ammonia in it cause for concern? Or would that be a good thing?

Any little advice would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. Yes, I considered just composting the cat, but she's so darn cute... ;)

Comments (19)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Cat feces might put "Toxoplasmosis" in your compost but I doubt that the urine would have that pathogen. Still none of the researchers I can find think any of the waste from dogs and cats should be composted.

• shermthewerm
    12 years ago

This is off-topic, but is the Prozac working? I have a 5-year old kitty who loves to spray & is very high strung. She really loves to mark my car windshield, which smells fantastic.
    But as for composting a small amount of cat urine on a paper towel, I do not have an answer for that.

• joepyeweed
    12 years ago

I would compost the urine paper towels. I would even compost the ones that have cleaners on them. All of my paper towels and napkins go into the compost.

it helps if you are using natural cleaners - I mainly use vinegar, baking soda, and some natural soaps. For pet messes, I use a enzyme based odor eliminator. All of that stuff eventually ends up in the compost pile on a paper towel, or a cotton rag.

• Angeline84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shermthewerm - the Prozac has definitely helped! She hasn't completely quit, but it's gone down from every day to once or twice a week. It's only been a few weeks that she's been on it, so I'm hoping it keeps getting better and better. My vet gave me a prescription for it in a liquid form that the pharmacy made tuna-flavoured, which is pretty cool. The cat still hates it though lol

• shermthewerm
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, Angeline. How long does your cat have to take the treatment? Sounds like something to ask my vet about--my cat is ridiculous. It's fortunate for her that she ended up with a real cat-lover--pretty sure not many people would tolerate her behavior. She's sprayed a birthday cake, most of my daughter's gym bags w/shoes, uniforms,etc, a framed photo of my two kids, my laptop...just to name a few weird items of the top of my head.
    Sorry to hijack. Good luck with your kitty (& composting), and thanks for the Prozac info!

• Angeline84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh my gosh, that's crazy! Luckily my cat kept her spraying fairly contained - the walls of the basement and my piano. The vet said the Prozac was really just to help her de-stress and get used to her new surroundings, so she was hoping to only have her on it for a few months. Not sure where you're from, but here (Saskatchewan, Canada) it's costing me $36 for a months' supply, which I consider worth it for less cat pee! We're getting a puppy next month as well, so I'm sure that won't help the situation!

Good luck with your kitty, I definitely feel your pain and frustration! Those cats are lucky they're so cute...

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Gee, maybe I should start spraying around the house, or better yet, the office. I might get some good drugs out of the deal. :-]

Should be no problem composting that. BTW ammonia is not in urine to start with, it's formed as the urine begins to decompose through bacterial action. Cat urine shouldn't be a whole lot different from human in this respect. As long as your pile doesn't stink, you're fine. If it does, add more browns to soak up the nitrogen.

• Angeline84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I shall try adding some to my compost. I think I'll start off just adding a bit and seeing how it does (especially since my compost pile isn't very big at the moment). Unfortunately I won't know anything until everything thaws in the spring (kimmsr, I know you think a compost pile shouldn't freeze, but try coming to the Canadian prairies where we have below 0 (celsius) temperatures for 6 months of the year!).

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

Is that a shameless plug for air-renu's product? :-]

In any case, respectfully, I have issues with some of your facts:

"Pet urine consists of mainly three parts."

There are a lot more than three things in urine.

"Urea; makes the urine sticky and allows the other two parts to stick around."

I have never observed sticky urine. It is either liquid, or a dry coating.

"Urochrome gives the urine its ugly yellow color that stains carpets, furniture, the wall and anything the cat sprays or urinates on."

AKA urobilin; this I agree with, although yellow is yellow, and not necessarily 'ugly'.

"The third main part of the urine is Uric Acid. Uric acid in the urine consists of salts and crystals that give off the extremely pungent odor. These odors attach to minute solids floating in the air,"

I was not able to find a reference to the odor of uric acid. Perhaps it is responsible for the odor in its acid form. In the form of uric acid salts it should not be volatile nor have an odor.

But what about all the other salts? Na+, Cl-, potassium, sulfate, etc. I suppose they are not a significant factor in cleaning up the mess, because they are just water soluble salts with no odors.

If uric acid is the odor offender, it seems an alkaline solution like baking soda should be a good cleanup agent.

• Angeline84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tox, I was kind of ignoring Zippo's post :) seems like a troll. I don't have an odor issue - I've found lots of fixes for that! I just wanted to be sure it wasn't going to kill my compost!

• steve2416
    12 years ago

My cats seem to think the compost pile or veggie garden/lawn are all fine places to do their business. So do all the non-domesticated animals. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with deer!
    In praise of a pet door, the cats will mark their territory but always outside. Disclaimer: I'm fortunate to have a large property well away from traffic. Except for the occasional raccoon that comes in to share their food, it works well. Unlike the cats, raccoons are not allowed to share my bed.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I have a cat that used to spray. It started when I was packing some stuff up in the family room and brought some used boxes into the house. I think one of the boxes had the scent of another cat somehow and she felt territorial and started spraying the box. The pee was getting on the carpet and coffee table too! Finally I figured out what was going on, removed the boxes, and cleaned everything using a Cat Spray from the pet store. Also did things like set up an extra box for her, used "Cat Attract" litter, etc. and thankfully the peeing outside the litter boxes has stopped.

When I discussed this with the vet he said it could be stress-related and there are both OTC and prescription meds you can try. If my cat had continued to spray I would have tried giving her meds without hesitation, because I can't stand cat urine in the house.

Anyway, I compost pretty much all paper towels including those used to clean up cat throw-up and cat urine. But sometimes I use rags which are re-washed.

• toxcrusadr
    12 years ago

This thread reminds me of a joke by Steven Wright, that guy who used to turn things upside down.

"I put spot remover on my dog.....He's gone."

LOL

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm still pondering 'tuna flavored Prozac'. Do they make 'the maple kind'?

• quillfred
    12 years ago

I am not comfortable using cat urine on my food crops but fine with the natives and ornamentals.

OT: I had the same issues with my high strung male cat. I first had a UTI ruled out and changed my litter from pine to clay per vet urging (only temp as I hate clay mining) then to wheat. The wheat still lets some odor through - a work in progress. Also the vet convinced me to try a cat pheromone spray plus a temporary mild kitty tranq. The combo seemed to worked pretty well. No more spraying and less aggression towards other cat. I'm not advertising so if you want brand names you can email me off list. Good luck.

• Angeline84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rhizo, they did give me a choice of tuna, chicken or beef lol Don't ask me how it tastes - it smells awful and there's no way I'm tasting it!

Quillfred, I also tried a pheromone spray first. I also tried the plug-in variety of the pheromone spray. They helped, but kitty just found other places to spray. Actually the Prozac is proving to be cheaper than the sprays and plug-ins, anyway!

I'm agreeing with not using cat pee compost on veggies. I think I'll stick to using it in my flower beds.

• Laurel Zito
    11 years ago

Prozac would come out in the urine and therefore, not a good idea to add to compost those paper towels unless you are not eating anything from the garden area in which you are adding it. I compost paper towels if there is nothing harmful on them. Baking soda is bad for the compost, but vinegar is ok.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

It's a pretty big stretch to assume that vegetables would absorb significant doses of Prozac from cat pee compost. There are so many degradation and media-transfer steps there that it's just not plausible. To each his own, but I wouldn't worry about it.

• sigaboy
    10 years ago

Soon after we adopted her, she stopped using the cat litter box. It didnâÂÂt take long for this peeing business to freak me out. I didnâÂÂt like it, but I thought it would go away on itsâ own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stop Cat Urine Odor ��