Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Your ultimate compost bin

I have been pile composting for years and finally have decided to build some compost bins to speed things up. I would like to know what you would do to make your ultimate compost bin. I am a journeyman carpenter so have access to almost anything.

Would it be air flow to the center, insulated for winter use something like hinged doors etc.

Appreciate any ideas...

Comments (10)

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

I can't count the number of times people have posted asking for the 'best' composting system/method.

There is no "ultimate" system that is applicable to every situation. There are parameters, from climate, to materials, to available space, to expectations, to physical ability and about a thousand others that have to be taken into consideration. Even after all these parameters have been addressed, someone will pop and say what about this other factor.

Lloyd

Here is a link that might be useful: One example of compost methods thread.

• nancyjane_gardener
    11 years ago

I like to use a tumbler to start the process, not worrying about heat. It seems to break things down more quickly IMO.
    I'm thinking a tumbler that can be dumped right into a bin for finishing would be great rather than tumble/sit/tumble/sit, then dump into something to transfer to the bin or shovel from one to another.
    Hmmmm.....I'm thinking of getting the DH working on this! Thanks! Nancy

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Worm bins! They break down vegetable scraps in no time! Worm casting - one of the best things for a plant!

Joe

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lloyd, funny how it doesn't show up in a general search... if you don't know the right parameters for the search... anyways.... it was a subjective question to see what people would like most. From emails I understand airflow to be of the highest regard.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Worms, OH!, worms, how you will be in my life this year...oh worms...

LOL!! can't wait.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

A compost bin is not a means to "speed things up", a compost bin is merely someplace to contain your material as it is digested. Some bins are supposed to be designed to aid with the 14 day compost method by allowing you to a bit more easily turn the material using a crank instead of a fork or shovel.
    The ultimate compost bin is the one you use. People have spent a lot of money on bins only to have them sit around unused for a number of reasons. I have had bins made of garbage cans (not good results), 12 feet of 2 x 4 welded wire fabric. fairly fancy wood construction, a wood frame with fence fabric stapled on, concrete blocks dry stacked, and fairly simple wooden structures. My current side by side 4 x 4 wood bins have doors on the front and lids on top and are built to take advantage of the concrete block part of the yard tool shed which was built of concrete blocks for that purpose. It is where it is because of access, just off the driveway where most of the year I can get my truck or trailer to it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

kimmr thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping, yet failed, to find out what people like and dislike about what they use and why.

Thanks Lloyd for pointing these out to me. Inadvertently I missed using the 'best' word in my parameters, my bad.

• gumby_ct
    11 years ago

I like to use a length of old wire fencing discarded by a neighbor made into a ring. Use 3.14 x the width you want (say 4) to figure out the length you will need = 12ft. Form a ring and presto you have an Ultimate Compost Bin.

You can do the same with hardware cloth. But don't forget you have to lift things up over the side of the bin, So you may not want to go over 3ft high.

Also with old wire fencing you can make several different width bins to experiment with. AND once a pile is well underway you can remove the fence to another spot to begin all over again.

I suggest placing the compost pile in an area where you will plant since most of the nutrients will leach into the soil below the pile. That can be a bed or an aisle way. Or just do "sheet composting". Don't forget the plants roots won't stay just in the planting bed for long.

I use old rosebush thorny trimmings (or raspberry brambles) tossed on top to discourage rodents like coons & possum.

IF you add up the money you put into building, making, or adding compost material to a compost bin - think about how much compost (already made) you could have bought with that money?

IF you insist on building a compost bin consider adding hardware cloth (inside or out) to keep the rodents at bay. Tho you will find in some cases it can be hard until you figure out how to make the pile H-O-T. Once the pile is HOT you will have fewer rodent problem.

HTH
    obtw - invest in a good compost thermometer.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting perspective and ideas gumby_ct. Fortunately I don't have rodent issues here and my materials will be free. I also do have a lot of the materials you mentioned on hand....food for thought. Thanks.