Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celbrise

help composting turning?

Celbrise
11 years ago

i have a compost pile made up of clippings of dead plants and leaves and it's not hot composting so it hasn't finished. but i been adding urine to the compost and it has been composting slowly and fine the thing is my compost is in a make shift container out of screens and in a small space so i cannot unload and reload the material nor turn it properly

does ANYONE have any ideas how i can turn the outside inwards. the stuff in the middle is pretty much finished compost already and the stuff on the outside is taking longer to compost yet it is still composting

i tried a pitch fork weeks ago now help. tried turning by hand not a good idea lots of twigs in their some with thorns too. tried unloading it and that is just back breaking. i am currently poking it with a stick to aerate it and it's been doing good. been composting this pile since august

Comments (17)

• gargwarb
    11 years ago

Could you just dig a hole in the top and pull what you want out of the middle, like water from a well, and collapse the unfinished stuff into the hole?

• ericwi
    11 years ago

You can keep the compost pile going until next spring, and then disassemble the compost containment, and remove the finished compost. You might have to pull out a few twigs by hand, to go back onto the pile. I have been composting this way for several decades, just an open pile, that gets forked aside in the spring, so I can dig out the pit below, where the finished compost is found. I guess you could say that my pile gets turned once a year.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

There is only so much that can be done with cleverness, and they have not yet invented a magic wand for this. At some point you actually have to move the stuff. :-]

However, if you're reaching into the top of the bin, it is hard on your back. Best to remove one of the sides and dig from the side. That helps immensely.

Then, build yourself a second bin attached to the first, both with hinged or removable front walls. Then you can turn out of the first into the second, and start a new batch.

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

I Loves my tumblers. :-)

Lloyd

• luckygal
    11 years ago

I no longer put twigs and especially not thorns in my compost. I don't always learn by experience but I have learned that. Just too difficult to deal with. I now pile the twiggy stuff up and wait til I can have someone shred it. It makes good mulch then.

My best recommendation without seeing what you have to deal with is to use the pitchfork to remove the twigs and pile them elsewhere. You can then get to the compost but may have to sift it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

There are tools made specifically for this purpose. Easier to use than a pitch fork and works on just about any size compost pile/bin. And not very expensive.

If one is wearing gloves - as one should when gardening or working with any kind of soil/compost/amendment - why would small twigs and thorns be a concern?

Here is a link that might be useful: compost turner

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

I find sticks to be rather annoying because they take longer to decompose, so they're in the otherwise finished compost.

Gloves? Shoot, if I get a really good fine earthy batch, I sift it and practically roll in it nekkid. I shouldn't do that?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Depends on what you are composting......and how recently you had your last tetanus shot :-))

Gardening can be hazardous to your health.......as my health care provider likes to remind me every time I see her. The CDC even publishes a bulletin dedicated to gardening health and safety tips.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Gardengal48, have you actually used that compost turning gizmo? Doesn't look as if it would work as well as my old pitchfork. Of course I like to turn the entire pile, not just stir it up a little. I do wear gardening gloves but they don't protect against really vicious thorns. Sticks are just too slow composting and make turning difficult. My tetanus vacc. is up-to-date. Totally essential for garden klutzes like me.

Gloves? Shoot, if I get a really good fine earthy batch, I sift it and practically roll in it nekkid. I shouldn't do that?

LOL Tox! Got a pic? ;D

• Celbrise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i don't see a reason to use gloves. i am at home and i wash my hands after i touch the soil anyways.

also the sides are more unfinished atm i am forcing the middle part to compost first dumping all the urine into that area and with a metal rod i aerate it and break down the leaves a little each time. i was planning on just composting the middle till it is fully done/ almost fully done and turn the outside inward and repeat the process using water to wash out the salt from the urine.

might have to do this instead it will take longer for the compost to finish but easier on me.

also im not the only one putting stuff into the compost my grandpa is too and thus the twigs to begin with. and this is my first big bin anyways so i was new when i started it and had no money for a tumbler but come christmas i might buy a small tumbler

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

"but come christmas i might buy a small tumbler"

Please don't take my comment about my tumblers as a recommendation to buy a tumbler. My comment was intended to be a shot at certain people that dismiss tumblers even though they have never owned one. Mine are home built and not what you would find for sale.

Lloyd

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    11 years ago

Lloyd... I thought this what you use...???

http://www.artworks-unlimited.com/Cement%20flamed.htm

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

Spontaneous combustion??

:-)

Lloyd

• vermontkingdom
    11 years ago

At one time, I had three compost tumblers. I know many people have great success with them but I'm not one of them. For several years now I have used a three-pallet compost system and, as an older gardener, fully appreciate the difficulty of turning the contents of one bin into another. However, I go slowly and actually enjoy the process. At some point, my physical limitations, due to age, may likely preclude this manner of composting and I'll have to revert once again to either a tumbler or a static pile. I believe it's important to compost so use whatever method works for you. For me, one thing is absolutely certain, I'll actively compost and recycle until it's my turn to become recycled.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

Luckygal: No! No luck for you on that one. :-p

• EatMyGarden
    11 years ago

I twice turn my compost pile which has many sticks and twigs in it as i only have a set of hand clippers to use.

As i turn the pile using a pitchfork, i spread it out in about a 1 foot layer. The sticks and branches are easier to identify and as time passes, my hand clippers are more and more effective.

Keep stirring, adding urine, and breaking up the sticks. Wear protective clothes and just go for it.

After i am done chopping, i build the pile again, being sure to evenly distribute new clippings with the stuff that is composting still.

If you have access to a chipping, as you turn your pile, feed it into the chipper.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

To get air to the center of an open pile, put your pitchfork in as far as possible, at/near the bottom, lean down on the handle so everything on the tines raises up, and pull it gently toward you a few inches. This will quickly create some air pockets.