Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Best tumbler?

nancyjane_gardener
11 years ago

My lovely bullet tumbler that I got from recycletown for $5 about 8 years ago is on it's last legs!

I'm trying freecycle, craigslist and recycletown from time to time with no luck so far.

I really have to use a tumbler for the first 2/3s of my composting due to back issues.Then I dump into a regular composter to finish.

If it comes down to actually purchasing one, does anyone have a favorite(preferably inexpensive!) and why? Nancy

Comments (4)

• poaky1
    11 years ago

If you can get a COMPOSTUMBLER used, it is easy to turn even when full and you hose down the ingredients and it's heavy. You do need to moisten the contents now and again though. It's high up to make emptying easier than some tumblers. Expensive when new though. I bought 2 new. They are good so far. I made 3 out of plastic barrels, but they weren't big enough for large batches. I may try and put the other 3 I made back into service eventually. They made good compost, they were hard to turn though, I had to push the barrels up and around a cental pole that ran through the middle of the sideways barrel.

• ken1
    11 years ago

I agree with poaky1. I have two compostumblers, but paid very little for them at yard sales. The asking price of about $500.00 with shipping, is a bit rediculous for what you get. My only complaint is it takes 40 revolutions on the crank to make the tumbler turn 5 times, as recommended. I put a gear reduction on mine,(again used) and turn mine with a hand held drill. No effort and takes about 90 seconds to accomplish.
    The tumblers do work well though

• ken1
    11 years ago

I agree with poaky1. I have two compostumblers, but paid very little for them at yard sales. The asking price of about $500.00 with shipping, is a bit rediculous for what you get. My only complaint is it takes 40 revolutions on the crank to make the tumbler turn 5 times, as recommended. I put a gear reduction on mine,(again used) and turn mine with a hand held drill. No effort and takes about 90 seconds to accomplish.
    The tumblers do work well though

• robertz6
    11 years ago

I gave up my tumbler for low height mesh bins. One of the many reasons was my back. Found that a low mesh bin was easier to turn than a tumbler (I'm six foot).

Five rotations of the tumbler was about 5 times 6 turns of the handle, or 30 times I had to bend over. It was not the primary reason I gave it up, but it was a reason. Some reasons I preferred the mesh bin-- larger volume of material, better winter retention of heat, ease of using smelly materials like fish parts.

Using bins only 18" to 24" high works for me. If your height and a tumbler work out, best wishes.