Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone ordered from Burgess Seed & Plant Co.?

Posted by Gemila Z5 IA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 02 at 11:07

I just got their catalog and for someone like me who doesn't have much money to spend, their prices sound great. In fact, they sound too good to be true. I would expect tiny plants but am wondering about their quality. Also, has anyone ordered their roses? Do they come w/ their proper name? Just wanting to know before I waste my time, hopes & money. Thanks all,
Gemila
gemilarabel@hotmail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone ordered from Burgess Seed & Plant Co.?

Hi,

A friend recently asked me the same question when be got a catalog from them. So I did a search and found the link below.

I have never purchased anything from them personally. I did however purchase plants from Gurney's a couple of years ago and was very happy with what I got as well as the prices. Gurney was then bought out by another company whose service and quality was poor. Now, Gurney's has been bought (again) by a group of former customers as I understand it. Their new spring catalog is offering $20.00 worth of freebies for a $40.00+ order. Judge for yourself. they're at; www.gurneys.com. I would imagine that Gurney's will try extra hard to repair the damage to their reputation. I will be ordering from them.

Good Luck~

Here is a link that might be useful: faq consumer commentary

o

It is probably too late to warn you but I;d stay away from this non-company. They plus five others that I am aware of are a part of a comglomerate which just mails out seeds if your order arrives. For inexpensive and a trustworthy company, try Pinetree.

o

I have ordered from Burgess and was disappointed in the size of plants received. Lured by the prices, I thought I'd just try it one more time. Again, I was frustrated - by the amount of poplar trees that didn't grow.
Personally, I would not order from them again.
Lisa

o

If you think they are cheap just check the shipping.

o

I ordered from them last year. Ordered 5 climbing roses of 2 different varieties and a clematis. 3 roses died and so did the clematis. I called and called and called. I was finally told that they would ship my roses when they were ready and to stop calling. They finally sent a card saying they were out of stock and would reship in the spring.
We'll see.............
Due to their attitude and lack of information, I will NEVER order from them again.
Just my experience.

o

• Posted by nrmb z3 wiMother (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 03 at 20:49

The catalog is a waste of a good tree!

o

I have ordered from them on two occasions. NEVER AGAIN!!! The trees I ordered were totally bone dry. They did not sprout or grow. Had them replaced the following year and they shipped again, DEAD..BONE DRY PLANTS!! BEWARE!! They are either badly managed or they are RIPOFF ARTIST...and are getting away with it!

o

Yep, those catalogues are tempting but like so many others here I ordered a load of plants ALL of which died despite my love and care! They arrived as dry looking sticks and never took root. Use the catalogue for ideas- but buy them from somewhere else!

o

GardenWatchdog has about 175 customer reviews for this company and about 3/4 of them are negative.

o

Thanks soo much for the info I just trashed my burgess catalog. I too was tempted by the prices,That is why I looked this site up b/4 ordering.
Mary

o

Their plants are junk. I ordered some stuff, including some daylilies, While I was plantting the daylily I dropped one in my lawn and could not find it. That's how small it was!! about 2 inches!!!

o

The catalogs from companies like this are nice to look at and to then mark the plants you want. Take the catalog to your local nursery and purchase a better plant there. Many of the plants if they have a latin name and you do a search are very common plants or very weedy that no one wants. Pictures in the middle of the winter can tempt money from the most careful buyer.

o

Order from rosefranklin or butterflybushes.com. I posted a letter on the midwest gardeners forum today. If you want QUALITY, GOOD PRICES AND THE BEST SHIPPING method (cheap shipping) on the web that I have ever seen, I urge you to check these guys out! I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM ANYONE ELSE AGAIN! I didn't look them up on Dave's site untill after I ordered. People are expressing the same opinion that I am. Sean

o

I ordered from Direct Gardening (owned and run by the same company as Burgess) in May. I had already read about them on Garden Watchdog, so I wasn't expecting much. I ordered on May 10th and received "partial order 2 of 2" on May 30th, containing the 2 miniature hollyhocks that I ordered. They were small, and not in the greatest condition, but alive. I took a picture of them just after I unpacked them:

(Photo of miniature hollyhocks just after unpacking)

One of them is flowering now. It has purple flowers with a white center - not pink as their picture and description would have you believe.

Partial order 1 of 2 didn't arrive until June 14th. It contained mostly bulbs, and some bareroot periwinkle. Many of the bulbs were showing signs of growth, and the vast majority have grown - only 1 orchid gladiola (out of 10), 3 hardy gladiolas (out of 20), and 1 free flowering shamrock failed to grow. I used a coupon for a free asiatic lily - it produced 2 flowers this year. 2 of the free flowering shamrocks have sent up buds (but they haven't opened for some reason - probably due to local conditions and not something DG did). I haven't given up hope on the gladiolas and free peacock orchids (they call them "Exotica") blooming this year just yet - they were planted later than usual. The shamrocks were pink, by the way, which matches their description, but for some reason, their picture shows white flowers.

Now, as for the periwinkle... these were small and not in the greatest condition, but they were alive, just like the mini hollyhocks. I only got 15 instead of the 25 that I had ordered (their minimum order). Eight of them are still alive, and recovering nicely. Some lost their foliage or died down to the roots, but they're coming back now. I probably could have gotten all of them to live if I had babied them a bit more.

On the 4th of this month, I requested replacements, sending the original shipping label and a list of what didn't live (or never arrived), as they requested. I haven't gotten any replacements yet... I might try ordering from them again IF I get my replacements (in decent condition) before it's too late to place an order, wait for 2+ weeks for it to arrive, and have enough time for the tiny plants to brace themselves for winter. (In other words, it had better not take much longer if they want more money from me!)

o

Update: I've gotten my replacements from DG now. They let you substitute items of a similar value as replacements, so I asked for 2 Purple D'oro daylilies and a packet of White Beauty tomato seed. I got the daylilies on August 28th, and the tomato seeds today. One of the packages that was supposed to contain a daylily only had 3 tiny sections of root (which probably will not survive) in it, but the other had 2 decent-sized bareroot daylilies with some green showing. Those two are now in the garden and doing fine. They were smaller than what I got at Wal-Mart earlier this year, but not so small that I would lose them if I dropped them on the lawn! They also sent a free packet of ground cherry seeds with the daylilies.

The tomato seeds were sent with no padding (except for the advertisements they include in every package), which isn't a problem with tomato seeds, but I hope they don't send sunflower and pumpkin seeds that way!

One each of their orchid and hardy glads have sent up buds now. I'm not sure whether the orchid glads will get a chance to bloom, because this year a lot of my gladiolas seem to have some sort of problem which causes their blooms to fade prematurely (sometimes before opening). The hardy glad from DG looks like it might be the only glad in the garden not affected... My other miniature hollyhock is about to flower, too. I wonder if this one will be as advertised? I seem to have pretty good luck as far as getting their plants to survive, but I'm hesitant to order from them again if they can't put the right names & descriptions to their plants. The guarantee they flash around the most says nothing about plants that aren't as advertised, but their seed packets say that they guarantee everything they sell to be true to type. Hmm...

So, in the end (unless I complain about the mislabeled plants and they replace them), this is what I got for $21.56:

17 hardy glads
9 orchid glads
1 purple mini hollyhock
1 mini hollyhock which may or may not be 'Elsie Heugh'
3 flowering shamrocks
5 peacock orchids (exotica)
1 asiatic lily
2+ 'Purple Doro'(?) daylilies
1 packet of 'White Beauty'(?) tomato seeds
1 packet of ground cherry seeds

o

We ordered from them in mid May and now it is twenty days later and still we have received only a partial order. We tried to cancel but the customer service rep was unwilling to do more than have us send correspondence. Our advice to you is to not do business with this company! Anyone that has had good luck with them just got lucky. They sure aren't very bright when it comes to doing good business!

o

I have and the ship the trees in a plastic bag which rides around in the back of my mailmans truck(rural area).They are bent dry and anything green resembles wilted lettuce I complainwd and when I had forgot about it my mailman shows up with another green bag and asks what kind of idiot ships plants in aplastic bag in the middle of the summer? What starts out to be somewhat cheap ends up expensive in time. Make mulch from the flyers.

o

Gemila,

I second the gardener who recommended Pinetree Seeds. They offer seeds that are difficult to find anywhere else, and you can get a great variety of seeds at a reasonable cost. Their customer service is excellent, and their response time to orders is quick. You can contact them at www.superseeds.com and they also offer a hardcopy catalog. I recommend getting the hardcopy catalog--it has great information, and has 'over 900 seed varieties, bulbs, plants, tubers, garden books and garden products.' I have ordered from this company and NEVER been disappointed!

o

I received package #2 today, on March 18 2008, of my order and am very disappointed with the quality of the "live plants". The plants are half dead or half rotten. The size of the bulbs is also extremely poor, and they are tiny and in a poor condition.

o

I have been ordering from Burgess for the last couple of years and I have no complaints. My folks have been doing business with them for several years and have yet to complain as well.
You should be aware of your soil conditions/type before ordering and you may have better luck. Always water frequently after planting until roots take hold, that is the most critical time with a new plant or tree.
If you are not familiar with all four seasons, soil type or zone you live in, you just may run into problems growing anything but whose fault is that? Burgess can't send people out to test your soil to see if your Red Maple Tree will grow in your yard or not, or whatever you ordered. Take some responsibility of your own actions..

o

I don't think the complaint is about the plants growing. They have to arrive ALIVE first!

My trip-l-crops came today, a 4-pack, and I will be LUCKY if they survive the night.

o

I ordered seeds from Burgess Seed Company for the first time in early January, 2008. It is now May and I just called Customer Care to learn that my order was just placed on April 29. I was told that my order will be shipped in late May or early June. I don't need my seeds then; I needed them two months ago so as to start my plants indoors. I have been calling Burgess since early March and no one can help me. I've spoken to at least four different people and all sympathize with me but they all claim to only take fill orders. They have no control as to when orders ship. I've asked for a refund and nothing. I've asked to speak to a supervisor and was told a supervisor can't help me either. It is obvious that the right hand at that company does not know what the left hand is doing. I didn't order a large quantity of seeds as my garden is small. Burgess should be ashamed of doing business like this. I will never order from them again!!! I hope you don't either.

o

Following is correspondence that I have exchanged with Burgess regarding an order (this was my first order with Burgess) that I placed on 3/14/2008 - Three items that caught my eye - "We do apologize as we are not able to provide you with a tracking number" and "We shipped this order out via the U.S. Postal Service" and "Please email the name and address (including zip code), to which we are sending the order".

My comment regarding no tracking number and US mail shipment - I have never heard of nor received saplings shipped via US mail in my 30+ years of catalog/internet ordering.

I also found the reply to my initial inquiry interesting in that they needed my shipping address even though I provided my order number and my shipping address was provided with original order that generated the order number.

I am getting a bad gut feeling about this company! - I will keep this post updated.

From: Burgess Customer Care [mailto:customercare@eburgess.com]
Sent: Wed 5/14/2008 4:15 PM
Thank you for your email. We do apologize as we are not able to provide you with a tracking number. We shipped this order out via the U.S. Postal Service and it may still be in transit. Please let us know if you do not receive this order by May 25, 2008, so that we may run a trace on this package. As a reminder, if you do receive this package, be sure to save your shipping label that is located on the outside of the package.
Thank you,
Customer Care Department

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:19 AM
To: customercare@eburgess.com
Subject: RE: Order number: XXXXXX

Still have not received my order - How was my order shipped - please provide a tracking number.
Thank You,

Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:46 PM

Your order has shipped. You should expect delivery within 7-14 days.
As a reminder, when you receive your order be sure to hold onto the original shipping label, which will be on the outside of the package, for your one year replacement guarantee.
Thank you,
Customer Care Department
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:14 PM
Subject: Order number: XXXXXX

Is there a ship date available for my order yet? Order number: XXXXXX
Thank You,

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:16 PM

We have received your order, which has been scheduled for spring shipping. We are currently shipping to your area and are sending orders out as quickly as possible. We are still getting a lot of nursery stock in from the fields and are shipping as soon as the plants are prepared.
Unfortunately, we are unable to give you an exact shipping date. You are welcome to check on the status of your order periodically.
Also, just as a reminder, once you have received your order be sure to hold onto the original shipping label from the outside of the package.
Thank you and Happy Gardening!
Thank you,
Customer Care Department

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 10:34 AM

Ship to: XXXXX XXXXXX
XXXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX

Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 5:46 PM

Please email the name and address (including zip code), to which we are sending the order, so that we may access your account. Please, also, include these messages with your reply so we will know how to proceed.
Thank you,
Customer Care Department

Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:20 AM

When will my order be shipped? Order number: XXXXXX
Thank You,

o

FOLLOW UP

I received my order 0n 5/23/2008 The white birch saplings seem to be viable. They had green showing and a nice root system.

The Lilly of the valley saplings were substituted with a white flowering "tree" of some kind (label was illegible) that resembled a dead stick that had fallen from a tree during a storm the night before. I planted it anyway and we will wait and see. (Hope I put the correct end in the ground there was no root system).

The horse radish root was shipped in a plastic bag full of mulch. I could not tell the horse radish from the mulch so I planted the entire contents of the bag. Again, we will wait and see.

The bottom line is the items I received looked nothing like the pictures in the catalogue and the prices were unbelievably low. Moral of the story, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Following is correspondence that I have exchanged with Burgess regarding an order (this was my first order with Burgess) that I placed on 3/14/2008 - Three items that caught my eye - "We do apologize as we are not able to provide you with a tracking number" and "We shipped this order out via the U.S. Postal Service" and "Please email the name and address (including zip code), to which we are sending the order".
My comment regarding no tracking number and US mail shipment - I have never heard of nor received saplings shipped via US mail in my 30+ years of catalog/internet ordering.

I also found the reply to my initial inquiry interesting in that they needed my shipping address even though I provided my order number and my shipping address was provided with original order that generated the order number.

I am getting a bad gut feeling about this company! - I will keep this post updated.

Sent: Wed 5/14/2008 4:15 PM
Thank you for your email. We do apologize as we are not able to provide you with a tracking number. We shipped this order out via the U.S. Postal Service and it may still be in transit. Please let us know if you do not receive this order by May 25, 2008, so that we may run a trace on this package. As a reminder, if you do receive this package, be sure to save your shipping label that is located on the outside of the package.
Thank you,
Customer Care Department

Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:19 AM

Still have not received my order - How was my order shipped - please provide a tracking number.
Thank You,

Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:46 PM

Your order has shipped. You should expect delivery within 7-14 days.
As a reminder, when you receive your order be sure to hold onto the original shipping label, which will be on the outside of the package, for your one year replacement guarantee.
Thank you,
Customer Care Department
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:14 PM

Is there a ship date available for my order yet? Order number: XXXXXX
Thank You,

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:16 PM

We have received your order, which has been scheduled for spring shipping. We are currently shipping to your area and are sending orders out as quickly as possible. We are still getting a lot of nursery stock in from the fields and are shipping as soon as the plants are prepared.
Unfortunately, we are unable to give you an exact shipping date. You are welcome to check on the status of your order periodically.
Also, just as a reminder, once you have received your order be sure to hold onto the original shipping label from the outside of the package.
Thank you and Happy Gardening!
Thank you,
Customer Care Department

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 10:34 AM

Ship to: XXXXX XXXXXX
XXXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX

Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 5:46 PM

Please email the name and address (including zip code), to which we are sending the order, so that we may access your account. Please, also, include these messages with your reply so we will know how to proceed.
Thank you,
Customer Care Department

Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:20 AM

When will my order be shipped? Order number: XXXXXX
Thank You,

o

I recently placed an order with burgess, before hearing about a lot of the bad reports. I ordered 3 kiwis, 1 purple smoke tree, 2 paw paw seedlings, and one of those mystery packs of 5 plants for $5.

After about three weeks, I got what was labeled as package 1 of 2. None of the kiwi plants were in the package, but everything else was. I'm still waiting for the kiwi plants and hope that they don't make me wait until next fall to ship.

All of the mystery plants were the same thing: rose of sharons. I was hoping they'd put a mix of this and that and it be a surprise, but they didn't. All of the rose of sharons were well rooted and were between 2' and 3' long. Unfortunately, they don't tell you the color of them. So, I'm going to have to grow them in pots, see what color they bloom, and then figure out when or how to organize planting some of them later on.

The three freebie flower roots were very dry, pretty much dead looking. I doubt they'll come out, but we'll see.

The purple smoke tree was extremely well rooted and was about 1 1/2 feet tall. Out of the two pawpaws, one barely had any root on it, and the other had a long tap root that was partially broken. It's already hit or miss with pawpaws in my area. So, it's hard to tell what they'll do. However, a scratch test did reveal that they were still alive.

They shipped the plants in a long green bag. I have no problem with this, but what I didn't like to see was that there wasn't any moisture crystals or anything to keep the roots moist.

Well, that's my experience so far

o

I wish that I would have found this site/page earlier!
Ok, so I ordered a lot of plants on 6/24/09. $120.00 bucks worth, saved up for the purchase and am hoping for the best at this point! To date, 7/7/9 I have received 4 purple d'oro daylilies, of which I was pleased with the size and they had growth/good root structure, and will seem to survive, and 2 hummingbird trumpets, (which are just red trumpet vines), and are dormant sticks, about 9-12 inches in length and less than a pencil in diameter and show no sign of life what~so~ever. No newsprint, chips, sawdust or any other kind of moisture retaining items placed in the green plastic bag. Given the shipping date of 6/24 and received on 7/2, that's a loooong time to spend in a plastic bag for a plant. They apparently are retained at numerous ag inspection sites along the way too. Heck, even Gurneys and Henry Fields pack their plants in cardboard boxes and shredded newsprint for shipping. I had mixed results with live/die on the plants and from those guys and they substituted plants after sending confirmation of original order, not good.
But enough about them.
I was really excited to find empress trees, paw paws and certain other unique plants that are not availible to order at either our nursery or any source nearby. We live in a podunk town of 3500, yeah, California has them too, and we're lucky to have a Lowes move in 2 years ago, but they can't order specialty plants...
So, I'm hoping for the best, will keep posting when items trickle in and let y'all know about the quality. Disturbed about them shipping in plastic bags, like I said, the aforementioned companies shipped in boxes and still managed to have plants break in two and half die in transit. Fingers crossed.
Happy gardening to all. K

o

Dont bother ordering from them. we've been billed for our order 20 days ago but yet to have anything mailed. i just called to check on the status of our order and the phone number provided is a "call center" hired to take phone calls. there is NO way to call burgess directly. we cannot even cancel our order because its been billed already, even though the "call center" shows that nothing has been shipped. hope this will save you some of the aggravation that my wife and i are experiencing.

o

DO NOT ORDER FROM BURGESS!!! I ordered over 3 weeks ago
($216.00) and no product! Tried to email, but they were all returned "undeliverable"! The phone line is constantly busy also! Any suggestions on how to get my product or money back? Are they still in business? Thanks any one with answers!

o

Don't do it! They charged my card immediately, then sent no product. Eventually I emailed them to cancel, and when they responded they said they'd "try" to cancel. Two weeks after that, they shipped out a very small fraction of my order, but credited back only about half of what I had paid for my order. Bottom line, I ended up getting charged about 4 or 5 times as much as I should have for the one thing that did arrive (quality was marginal, but at least alive), plus I got all kinds of aggravation, hassles with trying to cancel, dealing with my credit card company regarding the dispute, etc. It is NOT worth it! AVOID Burgess!

o

I also ordered from Burgess for the first time in the Spring. Was a bit disappointed in how long it took to receive my order, and my answers from customer service, but now that it has arrived, I'm very happy with what I got. Everything has survived and is growing beautifully. Probably won't order from them again, just for the time factor, but I do like what I got ... so it was probably worth the wait .. and certainly the price :) Agree with the person who said it was ROUGH getting through to them on the phone. Probably one guy pulling his hair out in customer service. Packaging made me raise my eyebrows, I order from several companies, but hey, they all survived, so in the end, I'm happy with what I got.

o

I ordered from them early in Spring of 2010, and found their delivery exceedingly slow. By the time my very scrawny plants arrived, it was way to late for them to produce this year.

They've also continued to send catalogs to my work address, which I made clear was for shipping the order only. I've also started receiving an inordinate amount of junk mail at that address, from companies affiliated with them.

To sum up, they absolutely SUCK.

o

I ordered from Burgess and was told it would be one to two weeks before my ordered would arrived. On the 14th day my sister and I were so excited we went back on the site to see if maybe we could get some idea as to when they were shipped. Instead when I googled the site, I saw this site and clicked on. After reading all the things people said about the place I just spent $50 with, I freaked out and called the customer number from the site expecting the people to be uncaring but I got the complete opposite. The lady who answered on the third ring said the order for the Angel Trumpet tree had been sent and the other things, because of us ordering from the fall book, would start being shipped out around the end of Aug. and the begining of Sept. I hadn't gone to the mailbox yet and when I did, there was our Angel Trumpet bulb in a cylinder box. Inside was a bulb that was moist and incased in a plastic bag with a rubberband around it. The stem already had a few small green leaves on it. It was perfect and we were so happy. We got the pot to start it in. With it came a sturdy stick to start it with. It's been nine days today and it has already grown about three inches. The leaves are getting so big and very green. I wasn't going to join this site till I had all of the items I ordered and knew if they all turned out the way I hoped. But I think someone needs to put a positive spin on this. So far all has been very good. From the ordering to the calling to the planting. I tried my hardest to put a picture of the Angel Trumpet on here but I guess I'm not that computer savvy

o

I have one word-DON'T!I am still fuming about their dead bulbs and root-bound plant I got today.Their policy is to make it as inconvenient as possible to get satisfaction.

o

I just called them back to see when I would get the next order and on the first ring a very nice man answered the phone and took all the time I wanted to answer everything I could think of to ask. So I am wondering if maybe you all are calling the wrong number. I have had the best experience with these people. The number I called is (309)662-7761. I told him what I read here about no one being able to reach them and he said if you were to call in the begining of the summer, he could understand because most of the people working there are probably in the back dealing all the stuff they just got in and there were very few people answering the phones. I know they are there now, so give it another try and maybe things can be worked out. I just think they are very nice and hate to see this site that I would think is supposed to help people with growing the plants and floweres they got, to be a slandering site.

o

I ordered from Burgess 2 years ago. I ordered rose of Sharon hedges and hydrangea hedges and clematis. Everything died the first time, but I'm sure that was my fault, not enough mulch and I didn't water properly. I got my whole order replaced easily and started everything in the house this time, I kept them in for a year to make sure they were well rooted and strong. I had a few mishaps again my fault lack of watering. But all my rose of Sharon have survived and are green. I would order again. You get what you pay for. Yes they are small but the price is small too. And they are sticks because they are sent dormant.

o

I have ordered from them for years. When I do have a problem it is taken care of during the next planting season, not immediately when it is too hot for shipping living things. As someone else mentioned dormancy is the best state to ship in. I also saw a comment about the postal service. I deliver mail and every spring and fall I deliver numerous plants, bulbs, and tubers. All of my grapevines came from burgess and I end up with more grapes than can be eaten. All of my exotic houseplants except for orchids came from them. My peony plants, hyacinth, oriental lilies and sweet shrubs came from them. The sweet shrubs are so big after two seasons they will have to be moved this winter. My lilies are prolific as rabbits. Peonies are slow but flowered in their second season. Gurneys and Henry Fields and others are grossly over priced. I can go to the local nurseries and get equal to, or better than deals.

o

This was my first time ordering from Burgess and I was very disappointed when my order arrived. I ordered 15 Oriental lily bulbs. The bulbs were shipped in a green plastic bag with no padding to protect the bulbs from potential damage during shipping. When the package arrived, there was evidence of neglect on the package including holes in the plastic bag.

I opened the bag only to find the roots dried out and many of the bulbs damaged. The scales had broken off the basal plate. (It was as if pressure was applied to the plastic package and crushed the bulbs).

I give Burgess the benefit of the doubt that they shipped the bulbs in good condition - unfortunately, they didn’t arrive that way. Apparently, this is not an isolated incident which leads me to believe that Burgess needs to seriously reconsider their shipping method.

I had no problem getting a hold of someone in their customer service department. The lady instructed me to return the shipping label with a description of the damaged items and they will gladly replace them. Unfortunately, they will not be shipping any more products until SPRING! If they had shipped the product properly the first time around, I would be looking forward to blooming lilies by Spring!

Because my issue with Burgess is ongoing until Spring, I can only suggest that anyone who is considering placing an order with Burgess should do their research and not have high expectations.

Below are some information gathered from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Illinois, the state in which Burgess is licensed to conduct business.

House of Wesley, Inc. is the PARENT company of Burgess along with other company names they are doing business as (see list below).

(BBB Accreditation: House of Wesley, Inc. is NOT a BBB Accredited business.)

Based on BBB files, House of Wesley, Inc. has a BBB Rating of D- on a scale from A+ to F.

Reasons for this rating include:

517 -complaints filed against the business (in the LAST 36 months)
14 -complaints filed against the business that were not resolved
238 -cases that were closed in the LAST YEAR

These complaints concerned:
7 regarding Advertising Issues
10 regarding Billing of Collection Issues
2 regarding Contract Issues
13 regarding Customer Service Issues
158 regarding Delivery Issues
31 regarding Guarantee of Warranty issues
207 regarding Product Issues
82 regarding Refund or Exchange Issues
4 regarding Sales Practice Issues
3 regarding Service Issues

Additional DBA Names:

Farmer Seed & Nursery
Richard Owen Nursery
Exciting Gardens
Honeycreek Nurseries, LLC
Royal Dutch Gardens
Four Seasons Nursery
Plantron, Inc.
Inter-State Nurseries
Kelly Nurseries
Burgess Seed & Plant Company
Direct Gardening

Websites
www.eroyaldutch.com
www.interstatenurseries.com
www.houseofwesley.com
www.honeycreeknurseries.com
www.farmerseed.com
www.excitinggardens.com
www.eburgess.com
www.directgardening.com
www.4seasonsnurseries.com
www.kellynurseries.com

Here is a link that might be useful: State of Illinois Better Business Bureau

o

I have ordered and NEVER again! Please don't waste your money.

o

Thank you for listing all the DBA names - that is very helpful! It's a shame they are still in business.

o

I just purchased 5 Norway Spruces, 5 Douglas Firs and 12 Colorado Blue Spruces. They all arrived within 2 weeks healthy. For the price I paid, I knew they would be small. I am very happy with the purchase and I will be ordering from them again.

o

I ORDERED, RECEIVED LESS THAN HALF OF THE ORDER, AND CANNOT GET THROUGH THE PHONE LINE. ARE THESE PEOPLE STILL IN BUSINESS? HOW CAN I SPEAK TO SOMEONE? I'VE BEEN CALLING FOR THREE WEEKS!

o

I would not order from them again. They shipped some small 10" woody plants in...get this...a large plastic bag. I got it and the branches were broken off in numerous spots. Helloooo? What idiot at Burgess thinks it's ok to ship potted plants in plastic bags with no protection?

Compare them to High Country Gardens, who actually DO know how to properly package their items.

Forget Burgess, shop elsewhere.

o

I'm pleased with my order. But I wouldn't order again unless the weather was cool. The shipping method won't hold up well during the heat.

I got a bunch a small trees for a fair price.

I am really pleased with trees and shrubs from coldstream nursery from mich.

o

Wanted to bring this one up again. I agree with many of the complaints, but...!

Seriously, what do we expect when we get bleeding hearts for 2 for 3.96 (or better) spruce 3/1.99, mockorange (which I'd have to pay 90 bucks for here in AK) for a dollar. Even if HALF or MORE of my order never showed up, I'd be getting more than I paid for. I have an entire 270 foot fence line planted with trees and shrubs going into their third season, all from directgarden, and purchased for less than 30 dollars including shipping. Most places won't even ship to ak, the beets... As it was, they don't seem to do well with bulbs, but all of my jersey knights transplanted successfully, I have bleeding hearts ($10 a root here), and the only shrubs I lost were either a total stupidhead zone push on my part or due to dog and moose pruning. I am now on my fourth direct gardens order and have never had to wait more than a week and a half. AND I LIVE IN ALASKA! Cheap, cheap, cheap, more selection than walmart, and open 24/7...Cool in my book. Just think of it as the box store of the nursery trade :-)

-P

o

Thumbs down on Burgess. Their packaging is total crap. Picture your live plants being tossed into a large plastic bag and a label put on it and shipped off....in nothing but a plastic bag. Mhmmmm...my experience exactly.

Their 1 year guarantee is this:
You have to save the ORIGINAL shipping labels stuck on the package and send them along with a letter requesting either a replacement or a refund. If you want a refund, you have to return the dead plants to them.

The only problem with that is, that if you ordered a bunch of stuff and had to return a few things say 3 months later, the original labels are now in their possession. And thus any further claims for dead plants could potentially be denied because you did not include the ORIGINAL shipping label with a later request for a refund/replacement.

So best wait until you you are sure of what will live and what won't, before you mail off anything to them.

Frankly, just from my view of how they shipped live plants to me, I would spend my money elsewhere.

o

My issue is exactly the same but with 4seasonsnurseries, however, I suspect this is part of the larger company, the business practice is exactly the same. I've been going around and around with "customer service" for more than four months because I received "dead" plants and requested my purchase price be refunded. I was told I would receive this but then in the next email I was told I would get a credit. My response was I do not want a credit. In my first message, I requested a date when I could expect my order--"they" couldn't tell me when--I then requested an urgent delivery as we already had 90degree weather in March and if my order could not be sent that soon, then cancel it and issue a refund; I live in Texas and we are noow and have been in a severe drought;Answer: "simply soak the plants prior to planting when they arrive." I did and gave those "dead" plants a chance but by 14 days nothing had germinated so I returned the few I could scrape up with the original label and NOW the response is, "you didn't return the shipment within 14 DAYS!! so you get a credit"

I realize this might be challenging a "giant" but I believe we can succeed if we create a class action. If you are interested in forming a class action against this extremely large, multiple company'd business to seek positive outcome, respond to my address: bluebirdcove@prodigy.net. Surely there are enough of us who are dissatisfied to represent poor business practices with this/these companies.

o

My 87 y.o. mother is an avid gardener, and has been a regular with Burgess. Give her a cutting from a plant, no matter how dead it seem, she'll get it to catch. She has ordered from Burgess before, and has been diappointed, but has had some good results. However, in July she ordered the special 7 roses being offered, along with some plant vitamin. The order arrived with the rose sticks wet, black with mildew, and dead. She planted the rose anyway, and called Burgess to inform them. She was told to mail the shipping lable with a copy of the original order and a new shipment would be sent. After one month and nothing received, we called again. This time we met the monster. It was she didn't send the shipping lable back. They didn't know of the bad shipment, although the could tell what day we called. The Post Office messed up. She must provide copies of the front & back of her check to prove she paid. She must provide an order number. All these were inserted to frustrate the customer.
Efforts to speak to someone other than the very rude customer service agent was also futile.
They are not worth the aggravation the give. Leave Burgess alone.

o

They are s-l-o-w to send seeds, over priced, and unreliable BUT they are the only source of one of my favorite tomato seeds. It's a hybrid called Early Salad (45 days). So I reluctantly do buy from them. I found out that I can send a stamped self-addressed envelope to avoid their high S&H cost. The limit is two packs and for some weird reason does not apply to their jumbo size pack. Living in north Florida (Tallahassee) my tomato seed planting time is January so I've learned to order in the summer, Their "speedy" handling gets the seeds to me in a month or more so I freeze them in a zip lock till planting time. Bob Freeman (bnfreeman@comcast.net)

o

I just attempted a first order with Burgess & it will be my last. When I ordered I forgot to ask a question I usually ask regarding the method of shipment. I called & was told FEDEX or UPS.After a few days I called to check status of my order & was told that it would go US mail which means PARCEL POST & that they didn't ship UPS & that FEDEX would be something like $11.00 more!
About a year ago I dealt with a company that shipped plants via parcel post & they arrived dead. A reshipment arrived the same way. Parcel post is the worst way to ship perishable items. I received a refund.
When I mentioned this to Burgess they told me to cancel my order I would have to email which I did & received no response.I called them again & was told the call center couldn't help me other than to give me the info they had already given me.
I have never in my life dealt with a mail order company where the people who took an order by phone couldn't cancel it. This company is primitive but when I voiced my concern I was told by a Customer Service MANAGER that they had done business this way 70 years & were doing great. I told them I wished that as a would-be customer I could say the same.
Furthermore they said that IF they could catch the order from going out they couldn't tell me how long it would take to get the charges off my card!!
Originally they told me they didn't start shipping until March but who knows now what is going on.
All being said, I wish I had never heard of this company & will take whatever measures necessary to be refunded.
Oh yes, another thing. They said that if the plants arrived dead I would have to send them back at my own expense & await an answer.
All I can say that this primitively run company is a nightmare to deal with & I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy!

o

NO ONE....LET ME REPEAT THAT....NOOOO OOONNNEEE....SHOULD EVER ORDER FROM BURGESS.
I ORDERED FROM THEM FROM A CATALOG THEY SENT TO MY PRESENT ADDRESS.
AFTER ABOUT A MONTH AND NO PRODUCT, I CALLED THEM.
NOW....THINK BACK....THEY SENT ME A CATALOG AT MY PRESENT ADDRESS.
BUT...THEY SENT PART OF THE ORDER TO AN ADDRESS I HAD OVER ELEVEN YEARS AGO.
JUST SENT THEM ANOTHER EMAIL....THE FIFTH....REINTERATING THESE FACTS....AFTER BEING TOLD THE PRODUCT WAS DELIVERED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS.
THEY ARE DISHONEST IN THEIR ADVERTISING, IN THEIR PROMISE OF SATISFACTION, AND IN THEIR ACTIONS.
PLEASE....NO ONE ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY.
AND....CONTACT THE ILLINOIS ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR A COMPLAINT, THE BBB, AND POST TO ALL THE BOARDS POSSIBLE SO NO ONE ELSE WILL ENDURE THIS INSANITY.
I AM 69 YEARS OLD. MY MOTHER USED TO ORDER FROM BRUGESS WHEN IT WAS REPUTABLE. IT IS NOT NOW.
PLEASE, EVEN IF IT'S A ONE DOLLAR PACKET OF SEED....SO TO ANOTHER COMPANY

o

Horrible Experience. They have had my $$ for over 6 weeks... but no plants for me!!!! Their explanation: It just takes that long.

o

I am glad I am not the only one sufferring as a result of this scam of a Business!

Placed total order of $154.80. Paid in January 2012. Receieved one package in the mail. Second package with goods worth $70.52 never arrived. I followed up with vendor several times and in April they informed 'the first package was damaged, we will place a replacement order'. I have nothing to do with issuing a replacement order since this package never made it to me.
After i called them repeatedly asking for status of the order, and they still kept saying order is placed (while some reps said the order has not been placed), i finally ended up asking for refund in May 2012. I provided exact figures to them for refund - $70.52 and any tax and shipping amoutn associated with it. They said they 'wrote up' the refund and never provided any tracking #s, transaction #, or refund #. In the end, on June 9th 2012, i received a letter from Burgess containing a Store credit receipt worth $60.31. I have have been harassed by these people and now they don't even want to issue a refund despite repeated reminders and clearly stating amounts and the desire to not do business with them anymore. Also in the first shipment that actually made it in, 3 of the trees contained were dead. Plus the customer service reps speak to me very disrespectfully like i am the one making the mistake.

Also like one of you guys said, there is no tracking number made available. They keep saying 'sorry we cannot provide you a tracking number'.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and FTC. Have any of you received a response from BBB on your complaint?

o

Thought at first wow this will be great all plants we wanted from one place. But that happiness was short lived once it arrived.
Before reading further read this "Don't buy from Burgess spend the extra monies and you will be much happier."

Most arrived dried and even the horseradish was smaller than a pencil nothing like the roots show in their catalog. also the horseradish was not the same # as the one I ordered.
So we contacted customer service and received plant it it should all grow and the horseradish should be large by fall.
I have grown horseradish before and picked up roots and other plants locally to supplement this batch and all the local items have bloomed none dead.
I have spent double locally and received less but all is blooming and growing well.
But my $75+ order from Burgess approx 50% not blooming.

6814 Phlox, Creeping 5 of 12 dead/brown

6811 Periwinkle 25 of 25 dead arrived as brown sticks have yet to bloom

7394 Bulb Garden, 50 piece Yet to see any pierce the soil surface

7741 Garden, Color in the Shade, 2 blue hostas and 4 trinity and one fern have grown nothing else
2 Regal Blue Hosta (mid summer)
4 Red Trinity Plants (early summer)
3 Mixed Astilbe (summer)
2 Double Blue Barlow Columbine (late spring)
5 Lily of the Valley plants (early summer)
2 Cinnamon Ferns.

6243 Horseradish 3 roots came smaller than pencil have yet to show but others picked up locally have that were planted 2 weeks later in same soil

6853 Freesia, Mixed 24 of 24 have yet to show

7270 Hosta, Regal Blue 2 of 2 have yet to grow but the ones included in 7741 did

6665 Hosta 2 of the 6 have yet to show others are 2-4 leaves 6"+

6755 Daisy, Alaska Shasta 3 of the 8 have yet to show

6298 1 Pkt Vine Peach nothing has shown yet

6702 1 Pkt Trip-L-Crop Tomato 14 plants have reached 2-4"

1281 4 Flowering Shamrock Bulbs 3 of the 4 bloomed

5606 3 Peacock Orchid Bulbs 2 of the 3 bloomed and are 6"+

o

Yes, I have ordered from Burgess. I received healthy, living Magnolia trees, Gardenias and Hybrid Lillie's. I live in zone 9a, and received my order on October 12th. This is exactly as promised. It seems that many of you do not read or understand the order form. It tells you when your order will ship, and gives instructions for returns. If you order in June, but optimal planting time is October,then you will receive your plants in October. You must retain your original packing slip and label for returns. Yes, you will receive plants with the roots in a plastic bag/test tube thing. Did you think they would be shipped in a pot of dirt? Really, people, you need to read the order form and instructions. I will order from them again, regardless of how many names they go by.

o

I ordered from Burgess spring, 2011, my first time. They were recommended by a friend, and she said, she had never had a problem with them, and recommended them.
Well, let me just say, like many others on here, I was on a budget, having just bought a house, and wanting to landscape it, I was on a budget. Their prices were really good, and I had never gardened before, so I didn't know any better. It took weeks for my order to arrive, and when it did, I didn't get everything I ordered, and I ordered over $200 of stuff. Come to find out, some of my stuff was in another shipment. Everything was wrapped in plastic bags, dormant, which was fine. But the trees weren't kept moist or anything. I ordered the 20 poplar trees to surround my backyard. Only about half of them are doing well, now in almost spring 2013. I can't blame Burgess, some of them I planted in shade, and they are doing worse than the ones in direct sun. that's not their fault. But regardless, I only have 10 that have thrived. The ones that have have grown about 3 feet a year, and are taking off. I ordered many more things including seeds, flowers, wisteria, etc, and hardly anything is doing well. So you pay next to nothing, and that's what you get. I ordered a spruce tree, which died after the first couple weeks. I ordered white birches which died. Some of the stuff looked like it was dead when it arrived. It became sticks for my dog to chew on. I mean the trees I ordered (besides poplar) look like they will take 50 years to mature. I understand you have to start somewhere, but I don't want to be dead to enjoy my trees. Go with a company where your trees are larger, or a local garden center where they're more mature, so you can actually enjoy them. I bought a wisteria plant, which was like 3" long...I mean how long is it gonna take for that to mature? So like an idiot, I ordered the stuff I like and what I wanted in my yard.There's not enough information in their catalog for you to realize this. I mean, I don't expect a mature plant for $1.99, but I do expect it to be thriving and alive at least. So out of the $200 I spent, I probably only got maybe $50 worth of product that is doing well. I will never order from this company again. It was a horrible experience, and not worth even the petty amount of money they charge for product! Their catalog for 2013 arrived today, and it will be going into the recycle bin!

o

What haqppened to the complaint I filed last evening against Burgess Nursery?? It was not posted. This outfit is a scam!!

o

Ordered 2 cherry trees&10 asparagus plants. Cherry trees arrived dry as a bone and 1 thin as a broom straw. In the ground for 2 weeks in hot weather. Appear to be dead. Asparagus plants mushy with green mold. Buyer beware!!! Am trying to cancel another order and all I get is the run around from customer service.

o

I spent $ 69.99 on 1-28-13 . I bought 4 blue spruce, 1 redwood tree, 1 climbing rose bush,several butterfly bushes, 3 burning bush 2 Pompass grass and a pack of lettuce seeds. Only 1 blue spruce is alive out of 4, climbing rose is alive, 2 burning bush alive and the seeds grew. Everything else was dead. I did not have the original shipping label that came with the shipment, but had the final receipt and my credit card translation ID proof of purchase, they said that would be good enough, but I had to mail it thru the Postal mail.
I mailed it to them, requesting to replace the redwood tree and 3 blue spruce. They returned my letter and envelope with no explanation. I called them 4 times and they tell me they can only correspond thru
the postal mail. I have sent a fax and tried to send it again a day later and they turned off the fax machine. I have sent several emails, but no response. This has been only 6 months since purchased.
THEY ARE A SCAM, STAY AWAY.

o

I ordered 16 nut trees last Feb. When they weren't shipped by early spring, I called to find out why. Was told they would ship for my planting season. I told them my season is late fall to early spring, was told they weren't ready. I continued to call through spring and was told the bad weather they had was a factor. I told them my other trees already had fruit on them. They said I could get a refund, had a one year warranty. Got the trees June 30. 2 were subs. Most never had a leaf on them. The 5 that leafed out were to weak to survive our hot/dry summer even though I had a watering schedule through the summer. I just got off the phone with them and I will not get a refund,. They offered to replace them. That's what I need more dead trees that I'll have to waste water on. Don't order from them they don't know what they are doing and they will lie to you with each call and you will have to call them many times. Save yourself the anguish, lost time/water, Don't Order From Them. Cheap isn't always good. I recently ordered strawberry plugs from Ison's in Georgia. They were sent right away and they are beautiful. Check them out.

o

Yes, I purchased from Burgess and what a TOTAL waste of money. The trees I ordered were dead on arrival, A Chinese wisteria had no roots whatsoever. Bulbs were rotten and my two climbing hydrangeas were not climbing hydrangeas! One grew, the other had dry brittle roots and did not. Burgess is a scam and now I only use the catalogue to see what I want to buy from a reputable nursery. It was a waste of $100.

o

I came here today specifically to ask if anyone was familiar with Four Seasons Nursery, www.4seasonsnurseries.com, and found what I was looking for thanks to the list provided by @nomad_monkey. Definitely will NOT be ordering from them!

o

I've had two experiences with this "company," and they were very different. Years ago I ordered through their "honeycreek" label, and it was fairly late in the spring. The lilacs were fine, but the blue spruces were toast. I contacted them, and they sent more, which came in the heat of summer, and were also toast. I contacted them, and they resent the following spring, and 3 of 5 made it.

This year, I wanted a grape variety not widely grown here in sunny California. By late January, our local bare root merchant was sold out for the year. So I searched the web, and found them at "gardening direct." When I saw it was part of this Bloomington, IL, outfit, I debated whether to order, given my frustration years ago. But since I really wanted that grape, I did order, and held my breath. I ordered three different grapes, forsythia (not available here), campsis, and some other bare root stuff, plus a couple of live hardy kiwi vines. They were shipped as early as these guys ship, which is a bit late for us. But everything arrived fresh and seemingly in OK condition. In addition, a total surprise: a number of "bonuses" including the fattest platycodon roots I've ever seen. Everything has leafed out, and seems to be just fine, except for the platycodons which leaved out prolifically, then were eaten by deer, and now have releafed again and will probably be just fine.

My 2-cents worth: order in late winter, and get your shipment while the weather's cool. Don't expect bare root plants to be any good, or to be able to be shipped, once weather is hot -- they'll be guaranteed to be toast. The plants are probably dug in early winter and put into cold storage till shipped; by summer, they'd be dead. Plus, shipping plants in summer's heat is a non-starter -- don't even think of ordering live plants then.
I'm a sophisticated gardener, and know good plants when I see them. These are OK, exactly the sizes advertised, but nothing great -- they're small, but if handled properly, will do OK. And they're very cheap. If I'd had stock to propagate, I'd rather have done grapes and forsythia on my own, but since I didn't have any stock, this worked out OK. As for shipping in a plastic bag, it helps keep costs down.

I'd order from them again, but only in winter to get that early shipping date. Once the weather has warmed, forget it. They really should do what most bare root companies do and stop shipping sometime in early spring.

o

Just let them know what I think about their replacement policy ,staying within diplomatic language but barely.Rip-off artists hiding behind mountains of dead plants ready to be shipped across the country.
Do not get anything from them,unless you really need dead plants shipped from Indiana at your expense.

o

Yes I have ordered from Burgess Seed. I ordered 4 items and only one is living and they sent the wrong color on it. They sent me dried up sticks for a plumcot, hickory tree and clematis and these never sprouted so I sent in required info (save plastic that the items were shipped in because you will need the shipping info) and received 3 more dried up sticks and now I am sending in my second request for replacements. DO NOT order anything from them or any of the other member so call nursery companies, as they have different catalogs but one nursery and it is a scam.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here