Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamandy

What's your favorite garden catalogue?

lovetogarden
21 years ago

I usually can't wait until all the garden catalogues start arriving. Even though it's winter outside I love to curl up on my couch with my catologues spread out all about me and dream about the beautiful garden season to come. My all time favorite catalogue is Select Seeds, which offers rare

and heirloom varieties, catering to the flower gardener. My second favorite is Pinetree, which offers great prices, great service, and a great selection. There are a few others I like, but these two top my list. What are some of your favorites?

Comments (13)

• yacheryl
    21 years ago

Logees is good. I find a lot of unusal plants there.
    They offer a catalog and have a www site.......cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Logees

• mrsflowers
    21 years ago

I like Pinetree's catalog. I also like John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds,Forest Farm, White Flower Farm and of course All the rose catalogs.

• weedlady
    21 years ago

Johnny's, Pinetree, Seeds of Change, Bluestone Perennials among others. I feel White Flower Farm is overpriced, and among the scores of perennials I bought from a combination of local and mail-order companies last year, was least impressed with the 6-8 items I got from them.
    I was happily surprised with the quality of the plants (as well as the deals and service) from Gardens Alive! that appeared as they (I assume) were getting rid of overstock from the Foster-Gallagher companies they had acquired last year after the corporation's bankruptcy. CK

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants by Mail FAQ

• byron
    21 years ago

For upstate NY, also try Harris, Stokes, Cooks, Vesey, Fedco, Hart, NE Seeds, Seedway (aka Agway).

• david_5311
    21 years ago

I buy few plants from them any more, but Heronswood is still the best reading - very funny, and a tome of information about plants. The old catalogs are classics and I think Dan still writes the new ones. I also like Seneca Hill Perennials. What a great small nursery. Scads of rare and unusual plants, cyclamen, arisaemas, I always find treasures, every year.

• Floral_Artistry
    21 years ago

Plant Deligths all the way, baby!!!
    They have the greatest selection of unusual perennials (mostly for zones 7-9 East coast) but they also have a great list of hardy tropicals that can be used as patio plants for more Northern gardens. They even list the "Big Stinky" (Amorphophallus titanum) in the current catalog (for the price of your first born).
    For bulbs, Brent and Becky's Bulbs, best prices (they even beat a lot of my wholesaler's prices).
    The third runner up would be Wayside's Rose catalog!.

John Ingram
    www.floralartistry.org

• JMLehrer
    21 years ago

The catalogs I READ over and over throughout the year are Plant Delights, Heronswood and Forest Farm. For native freaks, Woodlanders is a gem and for woody plant folks, Fairweather Gardens.

• lindel
    21 years ago

Lots of great catalogs mentioned here, especially Plant Delights and Heronswood for unusual items and lots of information. For great lily color The Lily Garden sure is nice while www.artsnursery.com has superb dahlia photos.

• dereks
    21 years ago

I like High Country Gardens. They focus mostly on xeriscape plants and western gardens. The catalog is so informative with good pictures.

• illinigirl
    19 years ago

What is the web addy of Pinetree? I did a google search and came up w/ a few hits, none of which seemed to have a catalog offered on their website.

Can you please direct me?

Thanks,
    Illinigirl

• lovetogarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Illinigirl,
    The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinetree

• illinigirl
    19 years ago

Thank you, Lovetogarden!

I requested my catalog today!

• chills71
    19 years ago

Raintree Nursery and One Green World. For Unusual Edibles these two cannot be beat. When I clean out my magazine rack and make space for each next year's catalogs, these two stick around (last three years in there now). These catalogs are the only places I can find some of the plants I eventually add to my yard, in fact.

~Chills

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert