Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millie_36

Coir peat source

Millie_36
21 years ago

Anyone have a good place to get coir for rooting cuttings, etc.?

If it is an online source, would appreciate a link.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Bill_MO
    21 years ago

Worm's Way in St.Louis has it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm's Way

• Millie_36
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks Bill MO. I had found it in CA, but shipping is awful from there.

What do you think of it as a medium or one ingredient? I bought some potted roses and it had the fluffiest potting mix. Really holds moisture without looking waterlogged. Looked like only thing added was perlite.

• Bill_MO
    21 years ago

Millie,

I haven't used it yet. I think the price is a little high for me. We spend about $4000 a year on potting mixes as it is.

Bill

• Millie_36
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Ouch! I am still trying to figure out how to compare the price from one coir vendor to another. Everyone makes a different sized "block" or "brick". If I can assume that they are all equally dry, guess it is best done by weight.

• calliope
    21 years ago

I bought a coir based loose mix last year to trial from BFG supply. I liked it a lot......worked super for certain plants needing sharp excellent drainage as seedlings. But, it was still too pricey for my general use.

• Hap_E
    20 years ago

Millie,

I have been using Coir for the last five years in both my desert and jungle cactus mix, it is GREAT! I have totally given up on peat. The coir has made a dramatic differance in both the greehouse plants and the bed raised stock.

It does run a bit higher in cost, but I get such dramaitic results with it that I have found it worth paying the extra 20% over the cost of peat. Here in Berkeley, CA I can get 4-1/2 cubic foot compressed dry bales deliverd from Down to Earth (in Oregon) with my organic fertilizer orders or buy it already decompressed by the cubic yard from my local soil and rock supplier, American Soil.

The D2E coir is from Sri Lanka and A.S. product seems to be Mexican Coir (They won't tell me where it is from... but it is a lot redder in color and a bit saltier.(A sign it is from Mexican Coconuts) However A.S. coir sits outside exposed in their yard, so if I get a load in early spring after the winter rains, it works just fine.)

You may not want to pay shipping from the west coast but here is Down to Earth's web link. (Please note they are wholesale only). They have great organic fertilizers and other garden tool and supplies as well.

Good luck,

Hap

Here is a link that might be useful: Down to Earth

• cutter33_2000
    19 years ago

below is a link that might help you in the growing mediums area.i currently use all there products on a regular basis and am very impressed by the amount of growing time it cut down on and the quality of the plants i am growing with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: grow-tech

• rajkumar
    19 years ago

Here is a great place to buy cocopeat(Coconut fiber bricks) and at very reasonable cost. I've been buying from them for sometime. www.gardencoir.com - Very friendly people - I think they're out of Ohio - They ship within 4 days from ordering.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardencoir.com/

• scooty
    19 years ago

If you're a home gardner, you can save a few pennies over the per-brick price if you order from Pinetree Garden Seeds at www.superseeds.com

Sponsored