Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skatayama_gw

Your deepest darkest seed sources!

skatayama
19 years ago

Come clean...I and everybody else wants to know your most treasured seed sources. You know, the places with that list species instead of just the latest hybrids, and those places that are obviously a labor of love to support some demented gardener's life's obsession. I'll start the list and will try to keep adding as long as you guys put in your two cents worth.

OK, here goes my first one:

brazilplants (didn't let me post that domain- email me if you are interested)

Lots of photos and some really descriptive journal entries to go along with some incredible seeds and plants. Haven't ordered yet but I will be happy to post my results when I do. I found this through the Aristolochia group but he collects many other species as well- begonias, gesneriads etc....

BTW- my latest obsessions are Ipomoeas, Hardy Impatiens, Bananas, Salvias, Asclepias and Monardas. Well, there are others but I gotta maintain some focus. Which will last until one of you posts a great link!

Sharing Sheila

Comments (12)

• skatayama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Since that last link wouldn't post, I will give you guys this one instead for Asclepias with the added note that they take paypal. I think they have between 20 to 25 varieties available.

Sharing Sheila

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

Try these guys, the selection is unsurpassed Use your credit card and there are no hassles with the exchange rates.

Here is a link that might be useful: chilterns

• mysteryrose
    18 years ago

Skatayama: Your post brigns this site to mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Secret Seeds

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

I don't know if its "secret" but hardy plants / specialty perennials has had almost every seed (and a few plants) I have ever (even rare) wanted..... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy plants / specialty perennials

• hazelnut_nut
    18 years ago

If this one's a Secret... I'll be glad to let it out...LOL
    The only problem is you get soooooo many seeds...
    You would have to find someone to share with.... not hard here.. hehehe

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds from ITALY

• skatayama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had given up hope that anyone was going to post. I love Chiltern's and Secret Seeds - if anyone loves codonopsis check them out.
    Flowersandthings link was a new one to me! Definitely got a spend some time there.
    I had checked out Hazel Nut's link before but keep forgetting to bookmark when browsing. Not only that, for some reason my bookmarks delete themselves. Truly annoying. I had saved some really unique sites like the place that sells the hardwood laced with truffle spores.
    I'll post another link this weekend when I get a chance to browse GW and see what plant I'm obsessing about this week.

Sheila

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I like Chiltern Seeds, JJA Seeds, Rocky Mountain Rare Plants, Alplains, Plants of the Southwest, Theodore Payne Foundation, Stokes Seeds, Select Seeds, Seed Savers' Exchange, Seeds of Change, Lonnie's Bulk Seeds and the RHS annual seed distribution scheme. I plan to try Silverhill Seeds this year, and I have lots of wonderful seed to fool with from Phedar Nursery (peonies and hellebores). You can find links to all except Phedar Nursery (phedar.com) through gardenwatchdog.com, and ratings for all but Phedar there.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

An excellent source for species seed especially is the plant society for whatever plant you feel most passionate about. Fern societies have spore stores. (love that!) The Gesneriad Society (AGGS) has an amazing list, including some hybried seeds donated by hybridizers. Lots of others--

• skatayama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ljrmiller, I love Phedar's. For those of you who are into peonies and hellebores, that site is run by a passionate plant explorer so don't expect kid glove treatment. On the other hand, if you are likewise a gung-ho love the plant fanatic you will fit right in with the Phedar philosophy and won't care about instant gratification. Which in this case, is a good thing.

ljrmiller just took my next site to post as well as several others so now I will have to go back and think about which plants have me excited about gardening and where to get them.

Sheila

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Hazelnut I know what you mean about seeds of Italy! I've got enough veggies from them (including mountains of lettuce.... which I could probably use and mountains of anans melon.... which I'll have to find something to do with!) to last for a long time! Definitely will have to share! :)

• GawdinFever
    18 years ago

One of my favorites is Sunrise Seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Seeds

• mysteryrose
    18 years ago

And don't forget this source. Just google "Derry Watkins Special Plants"---she has seed to sell.

Sponsored