Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for load a soil & good testing kit

Posted by Mcrakin Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 9:33

I'm trying to help my dad out, he has a garden in the backyard but he says its very swampy and last year he did not get that good of a crop. He wants to get a load of soil so he can raise it up out of the swampy area (drainage is a problem the garden is about 5 feet away from a 3 foot high hill that backs up into an ally that backs up into a shopping center. He has had good crops before but he thinks the water is becoming an issue. I think the soil may just need something that I could detect with a soil testing kit. Anyone have any recommendations of what kind (looking for cheap (price wise)) of soil to order and a good testing kit?

He always grows tomatoes, jalapeno, habaneros. Then he grows other stuff depending on what he finds at store.

The zone thing at the top says USDA zone 6 we are in central Ohio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for load a soil & good testing kit

Can't give much advice wise on the soil, but those testing kits are horribly inaccurate.

o
RE: Looking for load a soil & good testing kit

Get a soil test done at your local Agricultural center. They are University based and do intensive studies. Please don't buy any kind of meter for soil test or moisture. They are inaccurate . It only cost 7 bucks here for the test. I have to send it in and pay postage. Some states you just have to take soil samples in and they will test it right there in the office. It will tell you what you need and don't need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here