Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wholesale plant plugs?

Posted by elly29 ca Z9 (ronald2278@sbcglobal.net) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 13:05

I am just starting out in the nursery business and want to know where is the best place to order wholesale plant and tree plugs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wholesale plant plugs?

I have no real knowledge, but found this link

http://www.theprimrosepath.com/wholesale/producers.htm

o

Also, check out Darwin Plants.

o

I hope I don't offend you but I'm going to suggest you read a book by Tony Avent 'So You Want to Start a Nursery'. I read this after my husband wanted me to start a nursery on the side. I didn't want to anyway & really didn't after reading that book! Too much work for something I wasn't sure I'd enjoy & knowing my husband, he'd be the 'supervisor' & the kids & I would be the 'employees'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting My Own Retail Nursery

o
...a source for you

I've ordered plants from these guys with success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural Products & Services Division

o

Depends on the kinds of products you are seeking and where you are located. What are you looking for and where are you located?

For woody ornamental nursery stock try these:
Lakeside Nursery Company, Byron, GA. - One of the Best in the country
Don Shadow Nursery, Winchester, Tenn. - Very selective varieties
Strain and Son Nursery, Athens, AL - Broad variety
S&S Nursery, Athens, Al - Broad variety

Azaleas, Rhododendron, & Evergreen liners:
Flowerwood Nursery, Daphne, AL

Specialty varieties -Iseli Nursery- I forget where on the West coast...Calif., WA, Oregon?
Also, do not overlook Monrovia Nursery in Calif. Lots of liner material out there but they're pricey.

First thing, Contact your Local Ball Seed Company representative if you are seeking tropicals, annuals, & perennials as well as almost anything in the trade. Plus it can't hurt to have someone knowledgeable of other growers in your area.
Express Seed Company produces mostly annuals and prefers to deal with the larger growers buying 100K & Up annualy.

Contact your local extension service to begin networking and using their listings.

Perhaps this info is a help to you...tell more about your Business Plans and I'll try to guide you more precisely.

o

Correction: Not Lakeside
Byron Lakeview Nursery
2149 Lakeview Rd
Byron, GA
Phone: (478) 956-2362

o

My family runs a wholesale plant plug business. Our website with price sheets is www.westelgreenhouse.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Westel Greenhouse LLC

o

Lisa - it is against forum rules to advertise here. Not bright to post on a thread that is 4 years old.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here