Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Clay or Kaolin

Posted by puzzlefan 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 14:02

Last year some helpful gardeners pointed the way to a source for white clay in Georgia. I have lost the name and address. I know I can buy the refined white clay from cosmetic suppliers but I am looking for the more coarse (less expensive) kind. I used it like the Surround they advertise in Gardens Alive and it did work great with a little extra work on my part.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Clay or Kaolin

Georgia ranks first among the states in kaolin output and second in the production of barite. Kaolin, a type of white clay used in making paper, paint, plastics, rubber, and hundreds of other products, is mined in great open pits near Macon and Augusta. One-fourth of the nationss clay productionmuch of it kaolincame from Georgia in the late 1990s. Mined and processed by multinational firms for the world market, Georgias clay is exported from the Port of Savannah. Fullers earth and ocher, both of which are used in refining vegetable and mineral oils, are also produced in great quantity.

o
RE: White Clay or Kaolin

I'm still looking for a source if anyone has come across this recently. Peaceful Valley sells it reasonably but you need to buy 25 pounds which is way to much for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here