Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck stain peeling and blotchy

Posted by 2011summer Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 12:00

I am new to this forum and need advice. I have a huge cedar deck with screened gazebo which I applied a water based semi transparent stain to last year. Areas are now peeling and many blotchy areas because we did not apply correctly and did it when it was too hot. Any advice for either removing or fixing areas and using same stain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck stain peeling and blotchy

There are a number of reasons why a deck finish will peel or bubble. The most common cause for a finish to peel is due to moisture that is present in the wood. When you initially purchase wood from a store it contains some moisture in it. Usually wood is kiln dried to remove moisture however most woods (including cedar) have some sort of moisture still present when you purchase it. For that reason you should wait 2-3 weeks after installation to apply a stain to the wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here