Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone order from Wayside?

Posted by Pterostyrax 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 04 at 12:56

I have been perusing the Wayside online catalog during my lunch break. Does anyone really pay these outrageous prices for plants that can easily be found elswhere? For example

Acer palmatum 'Tsuma Gaki' - 1 gallon size
Wayside - $49.95
Maple Leaf Nursery - $20.00

Cornus 'Stellar Pink'
Wayside - 1 gal, $79.95
Wildwood Maples - 5 gal, $50.00

Halesia carolina - 3'
Wayside - $49.95
ForestFarm - $9.00 (yes, that's right, $9.00)

Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Mohawk' - 1 gal
Wayside - $39.95
ForestFarm - $12.00

I could go on and on. How do these folks stay in business?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone order from Wayside?

I guess people that don't know any better. I think Wayside is way over priced. I have ordered from them in the past, things I could not find elsewhere at the time. But now I've learned to wait even though Wayside claims to be exculsive. The plants I received from Wayside were way undersized some looked like they had just been rooted and several did not survive. I would have to be hard pressed to order from them again.

o

The trick is to wait until they have their web sales. I have purchased Silk Road Lilies and David Austin Roses from them for as little as $5 each. By the way I bought a $20 Silk Road Lily from them when they were first offered and it grew up to be something totally different (but beautiful anyway so I kept it).

o

Wayside is a good reference book, there catalogue that is. Many of the items they claim to be rare or unusual are available in any 'GOOD' garden center. Their prices are really out of line, in some cases you can do just a well with some of the sellers on e-bay, if you can get the seller to commit to the actual scientific name that is.
I have purchased from Wayside, and the quality is only OK, but the size in many cases in way too small for their claims.
I guess they would be OK if you have limited access to a quality garden center.

Mike Cassidy

o

I ordered from them for the first time this year and it was after comparing prices and items. Not all of us that order there "don't know any better." I ordered all native perennials (some bareroot and some potted) for $5 to $8 each, and they all arrived in a day and a half, and they all immediately started growing the day after I planted them. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here